Thinking about a Brackish tank...

Devin

So I was given a 40 gal tank and stand, threw it in the garage and haven't worried about it since.

I have a 55gal planted tank with Mixed rainbow fish. Besides a few expensive rainbows I am done with this tank, just watching everything grow. I started a 20gal SW with a 15gal sump about 6 months ago and again with the exception of a few Zoas I am done with this tank also. So that brings me back to the 40gal sitting in my garage............, I am thinking brackish. Both of my other tanks are peaceful so I was also thinking of fish that eat other fish :) eels? Puffers? Thoughts? Suggestions? I have never kept a brackish tank so I am trying to go slow and trying to do a lot of reading before I get started. Part of me wants to set it up yesterday.....

I would skip the puffers. They're just too aggressive to keep anything with unless they are the pea puffers which are true freshwater.

Freshwater flounder, mono sebea or scat, bumblebee gobies, archer fish, brackish morey eels (not necessarily with the gobies or other small fish though). If you want to go biotope, a sand bottom mangrove forest with fiddler crabs and mud skippers is really cool.

I would skip the puffers. They're just too aggressive to keep anything with unless they are the pea puffers which are true freshwater.

Freshwater flounder, mono sebea or scat, bumblebee gobies, archer fish, brackish morey eels (not necessarily with the gobies or other small fish though). If you want to go biotope, a sand bottom mangrove forest with fiddler crabs and mud skippers is really cool.

These are really neat biotypes. You may consider some collection near a salt water estuary. Grass shrimp and sailfin mollies like this type of system. I adjusted some fancy lyletail sailfin mollies to my full strength seaweed systems. Mollies reproduce with live offspring. No larvae stage to feed. Many options with these systems.

Patrick

Archived