Corbin's terrarium build

Hydro

This is my 3 year old son's water dragon terrarium. Its still a tank build since it will have a couple gallons of water in it right? smile.png

Leo the lizard (chinese water dragon) was bought at petco just a week ago for my son. He's laid back and is very used to being handled, I would assume its captive bred. Anyways he is living in a 10 gallon right now and we are upgrading him to a 55 gallon that has a minature pond, waterfall, creek with moving water, and live plants. In the FW pond there will some feeder fish, maybe a small crawfish, or maybe some cherry shrimp.

We bought the tank off of craigslist for $60, I used some old glass panels I had from an aquarium top (FREE), silicone $5, a mini water pump $10, some tubing $5, sand and rocks (FREE), $20 for lizard. For a total of $100...no bad.

I cut glass strips 4 1/2" wide and siliconed them inside the tank to make the pond hold water. I didn't want it square so I cut the stips and angled them to make it look more natural. I also cut out one corner so that I'll have a place to put the base of a limb for climbing. I installed a 3/8" tube across the back through the glass on each side, one side will attach to a pump and the other side will be part of a waterfall.

My wife added sand leftover from a reef tank and siliconed rocks to the glass. She also built the waterfall and siliconed the rocks together to make sure they stay put. I'll be testing to for leaks in the morning and if no leaks then dirt and plants will be added to the open places. I'll get the pump installed and test out the waterfaill too.

In the pics water will go where the rock and sand is, the open areas will be dirt and plants.

post-1255-0-83765500-1329788952_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-79260900-1329788962_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-61072900-1329788986_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-80365200-1329789020_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-37018400-1329789103_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-11446300-1329789116_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Very nice. My dragon is about 24" maybe alittle bigger.I had him with more water than land until recently.he eats rat pinkies and Med gold fish. I had to upgrade my filter when I started giving him pinkies. I always wanted a dragon since I was a kid....Good luck to him and his dragon..

Very nice. My dragon is about 24" maybe alittle bigger.I had him with more water than land until recently.he eats rat pinkies and Med gold fish. I had to upgrade my filter when I started giving him pinkies. I always wanted a dragon since I was a kid....Good luck to him and his dragon..

Thanks Joe, I think it turned out pretty cool. How long does it take them to get 24"??? I hope that he doesn't outgrow this 55 gallon to soon. I don't think this lizard was ever around water before besides a bowl, it has spent a all of the light hours in there just chillin. My wife really wanted this, she told me this would have been here dream when she was 11. We are going to get some fish in it once it cycles, just a couple.

Dude, that's awesome! I made the mistake of showing this to Wendy, now I can see the "Tito would love that..." gleam in her eye... Uh oh. I'm anticipating a trip to the pet store here shortly... LOL

lol, this forum is bad about that isn't it. Thanks!

Ya im sure Parker will get one in a few years, im thinking about building him an HO scale train table in garage. I had one when i was a kid, was (2) 4x8 sheets of plywood with mountains, train tunnels, running water everything, it was awesome but EXPENSIVE...

I've Had mine about two years now. But I haven't power feed him. Small feeders jumbo millworms and crickets. Until about a month ago he was looking like he was more hungry. So pinkies it is. He's looking real good now. My 4 year old loves it but my wife not so much.LOL I just told her its all cute when there babies.