Metal Halide Survey (for SPS dominated tanks only please)

FarmerTy

Metal Halide run time per day  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Forgive me since this is my first time setting up a poll. But I was wondering for those using metal halides and keep predominantly SPS tanks, how many hours a day do you run them for? If possible, I would prefer to keep answers to tanks that are predominantly SPS. Thanks!

Be nice to know:

1) What does your light setup include (i.e. 400-watt, 250-watt, DE or SE, supplemental actinic)?

2) A pic of your tank would be great to gauge the amount of SPS you have and the coloration.

3) The hours for your supplemental lighting.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I am a scientist by nature and by profession so I do enjoy observing other setups and collecting as much information as I can about them. Thanks!

-Ty

1) (4) Lumenarc Mini Reflectors w/250W 14K Plusrite MHs on Lumatek dimmable ballasts and (2) 72" VHO T12 Super Actinics on an IceCap 660 ballast.

2) Just VHOs on....

post-727-0-30761100-1329250665_thumb.jpg

3) VHOs: 8:00am-10:00pm; MHs: 11:00am-6:00pm

Recently became a big fan of the Super Actinics and will always run these from now on. Even corals that look "so-so" under MHs come to life with just these VHOs on.

Bt the way, your poll choices have overlapping values (6, 8, and 10). Sorry, I used to be in Marketing Research. smile.png

Varies between 10 and 14 hrs. Lights on the tank posted below are on 14 hrs. 3 fixtures are 250W HQI Lumenmax Elite reflectors with 14,000K bulbs and Lumentek ballasts. It's a 330 that's 34" tall so it's 48" from fixture to bottom of the tank. Actinics are 21w PAR 38 & 2 20W DIY LED.

I guess I should participate as well.

I have a 3 250-watt setup with lumenarc reflectors and run 14k plusrite bulbs. I also run super actinic VHOs for supplementation.

The halides run for 5hrs/day and the VHOs for 10hrs/day. The reflectors are roughly 24" off the sandbed.

IMG_2569.jpg