Where to buy a new tank

dsquared

So my 1 year old used tank just sprung a leak so I am now in the market for a new tank. I am going to try to silicone and fix the leak but I am going to start shopping around to see what I can find for a backup plan. So my question to all of you with experience where should I go to buy the tank? I am looking for 110 to 150 gallons with no center brace. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

David

Just curious, where is it leaking at?

At the bottom right corner. I am thinking about re-sealing it but I am have never done this and there is no guarantee that it will hold. I just left RCA and I have my eye on a 90 that they have there on the floor. I am going to sleep on it and decide in the morning if it makes sense because lately I have not had a lot of spare time.

I had just finished a water change and installed a new vortech mp40. I think I jinxed myself when I read the fine print about the possibility of the vortex causing tank integrity issues.

You are correct Hydro "it's always something".

Man it is ALWAYS something!

I have fixed a leak in a bottom of a bow front tank before. I cut away the silicone using single blade razors but I didn't cut out the silicone between the glass. I used GE silicone 1 and I let it dry for 24 hrs, then filled it back up again....it leaked again. On closer inspection there was a dip in the stand where the tank edge frame was not touching. I fixed the stand, cut away the silicone again and replaced it again. After that I had no issues with it for over a year adn then I sold it. They haven't had any issues with it that I know of. After you fix it you might try putting a piece of styrofoam underneath in case there is any waves or dips in your stand.

If you decide not to fix it let me know, I wouldn't mind trying. Good luck, I'm sorry you are having trouble, that sucks. I have some tubs you can use but I'm far away from you.

Jake at RCA or the team at Aqua-Dome can help you. The bigger the tank the harder it can be to get, but don't settle, get what you want. I'd definitely agree on not getting one with a center brace, that's the one part of my tank I really hate.

For peace of mind with a tank that size I would just replace it. It could be fixed by resiliconing the inside but I would worry if the silicone has gone bad in one location it may go bad in a joint. For basic rectangular tanks I like Deep Sea Aquatics and AquaVim.com has some very nice seamless bowfront and bent glass tanks.

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and bought one from RCA that would fit my current stand, 90 gal. After removing the old tank I noticed a slight warp from water damage on the stand so I removed the bad part and will add a new top. This will be a short term fix though because I have the green light to begin planning a new build that will include some kind of built in cabinet. I plan on taking my time with this one and probably won't be anytime soon since work has been overwhelming lately.