Do you have a UV sterilizer on your system? did it help? does it work?

Reybeast

my water is not as clear as I would like it, and slight green hair algea and some of the really dark red algea (not velvet). I dont over feed and the tank has been up for a few years.

Not sure a UV will help that much with your problem but it certainly would kill any algae that passes through it as long as the UV is properly sized and the flow rate is correct. I see an explosion of the algae that makes your glass dirty when I turn mine off for a day or so. I see the most benefit with problems with ich. I always promote them because I'm sure they save livestock when it comes to "ich magnet" fish.

You might look at sterilight on ebay, those are nice sterilizers and are a good price. For a 90 gallon a 2 GPM UV should be plenty, you can even run it at 1 GPM to increase the contact time to be sure nothing lives.

As for the initial question most deffinetly yes. As to how well it will work for alga attached to rock I would not expect much benefit per se but when you clean your tank it would kill the stuff floating around in theory reducing it spreading. I'm just guessing that the red alga you have on your rocks is a really short fuzz that's firmly attached and won't wipe off like a slime alga will. If so it's one that's common in my older tanks and while it doesn't cause problems with corals it seems to be able to out compete coraline over time. Some individuals advocate replacing all the live rock periodcly (5 years) and this might be an option. I usually don't worry about it as it's shaded by good coral growth but you could also selectively replace rock.