Waterproofing a DIY led kit

FragIt

I covered mine with some acrylic sheets from Lowes/HD. I drilled holes in the Heatsink and holes to match in the acrylic sheest to provide a cover for all the LEDs and the drivers that are mounted next to the heatsinks in my canopy. For the wired connections, I used butt splice connectors and then heat shrink tubing to cover them with a fairly good amount of overlap to prevent water getting in. On other connections I wanted to be able to separate later as needed, I used male and female fully insulated disconnects. All of these items were purchased from Lowes/HD. To mount the heatsinks in my hood, I used corner braces to provide a gap between the heatsink and the canopy and have computer fans pushing air through that space to cool the heatsinks.

Why bother with ebay when you can just go down the block and get it at the store... I use ebay alot, but not for 3 acrylic sheets.

And yes, I am using 80 degree lenses as well to reach the bottom of my 180g... The lenses will not do much protecting of all the soldering and wiring... At least not the rapidled ones I got... and they are really meant for focusing the light not protection. I will post a pic tomorrow of what my install looks like.

Thanks I appreciate the advice.... I have been staring at my Diy kit that has cost me time and money and thinking that is one area I neglected to account for and do not want to blow it.....literally......

Who's talking about acrylic sheets. There is a difference between silicon pad and acrylic. Silicon pad is heat resistant and has a sticky side which will adhere to the heat sink, just cut an opening for the led's and lenses. Acrylic sheet just keeps water from splashing in the lights and doesn't cover the wiring soldering joints. Fragit if you really want to know about protecting the leds pm and give me a call.

Here are a few pics of my DIY LED project. I will be removing the T5 strip as that was there before I just added the middle LED set and now it isn't needed.

Tank = 180g (6'x2'x2')

LED watts = 3w Cree (RapidLED)

Heatsink = 20"x6" (Each heatsink has 24 Royal Blue and 14 Cool White.)

post-1603-0-28907200-1328195030_thumb.jp

post-1603-0-43599300-1328195059_thumb.jp

post-1603-0-10192100-1328195083_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...