Shipping CO2 tanks

medi

to do it right you do need to remove the valve and at that point for it to be filled again it has to be recertified after its put back together <may as well let the tester put it to gether he has to take it apart to clean and test it> unless no one says anything to the place that is refilling it. But at that point the tank is no longer pure co2 the same as if you let it run out to the point there is no pressure keeping air our.

And its the valve hooked to the tank not just the regulator.

In all reality it might be cheeper to buy a new co2 tank than to pay the cost of shipping and testing of it. And depending on the age of it <it should have a metal stamp on it> before its refilled it may have to be inspected anyways.

I've shipped small ones (paintball size) UPS ground with the valve tagged and locked open. It was several years ago, so they may have made more stringent regulation on shipping them now. The size also might make a big difference.

I 'bought' my CO2 tank for carbonating beer at the local welding shop. I say, 'bought', because it was a $200 deposit and I swap tanks when I run out. Tank swap is nice because you don't have to worry about inspections and IIRC tanks are good for 2 years.

So, if you are moving or relocating, I'd take the existing tank in to a welding shop for a 'deposit' then buy a new one elsewhere.

I'm new here so I don't know how the CO2 fits into the fish hobby but I have swapped out quite a few. None of the brew shops will ship used tanks that I know of. They only ship new and only refill locally. I'm pretty sure this falls under the DOT rules.

If I'm totally missing the point on why you are shipping the tank, sorry. Just trying to present an alternative.

I wouldn't want to disassemble and have to re-certify.

If its new its never been presurized the factory has "clean room air" so its fine if you open the vavle before its filled it will be contaminated not that its going to matter to much for a calcium reactor.

Medi is selling his calcium reactor and somone must have asked about having it shipped :) or at least thats my guess.