72g Oceanic Bowfront Project

DerrickH

52 cree 3w 1:1 CW/RB at the moment but going to remove some of the CW and put the UV/Violet in their place. If I run the whites over 20% it looks too white and my softies retract. Seems they are bit too bright. Below are some shots with all the LED on, blue at 100%, and whites at 20%.

post-1771-0-01303100-1331655811_thumb.jppost-1771-0-40143100-1331655922_thumb.jp

Edited by DerrickH

52 cree 3w 1:1 CW/RB at the moment but going to remove some of the CW and put the UV/Violet in their place. If I run the whites over 20% it looks too white and my softies retract. Seems they are bit too bright. Below are some shots with all the LED on, blue at 100%, and whites at 20%.

post-1771-0-01303100-1331655811_thumb.jppost-1771-0-40143100-1331655922_thumb.jp

Replacing the CW with UV and violet is going to make your tank very blue and purple. Seems like you have no warm colors in your light spectrum. Have you considered adding neutral whites or a few reds?

Well my camera wont capture what it actually looks like. The whites dominate when turned up at all. I want more purple regardless and they yellows should pop with the UV. As for red, hadnt thought much about that. The whites are a mix between CW and NW, forgot to mention that and a mix of 40/60 degree optics.

Hmm, Im not impressed with this MP40. I had an MP10 on my 40g and it had a lot more "umpf" than this MP40 does in this larger tank. I cant put it on the back wall as the tank it too close to the wall. Only on the sides :(

I have 2 on my 7' tank and they're kickin azz, I've had to turn them down. is it not the ecosmart?

Hmm, Im not impressed with this MP40. I had an MP10 on my 40g and it had a lot more "umpf" than this MP40 does in this larger tank. I cant put it on the back wall as the tank it too close to the wall. Only on the sides sad.png

I have the WXM already but no apex... backorder...booo!

With a bowfront, and with the pump on the side wall, the water thats getting pushed to the center of the tank looses a lot of energy because the tank is wider in the center so thrust dissipates near the center of the tank. Ive been running it in lagoon at nights and have saved a pretty decent wave setting and run that during lights on. It works good, just didnt think I would have had to crank it all the way up to get a good wave. Ive tried different placement and I wish I could put it on the back wall, that would give an awesome oscillating wave effect and the bow front would compound it...but cant ..

Hmm, My water goes all over the place with my 2, maybe a second MP40 will do the trick. But thats more $$ :(

I have the WXM already but no apex... backorder...booo!

With a bowfront, and with the pump on the side wall, the water thats getting pushed to the center of the tank looses a lot of energy because the tank is wider in the center so thrust dissipates near the center of the tank. Ive been running it in lagoon at nights and have saved a pretty decent wave setting and run that during lights on. It works good, just didnt think I would have had to crank it all the way up to get a good wave. Ive tried different placement and I wish I could put it on the back wall, that would give an awesome oscillating wave effect and the bow front would compound it...but cant ..

Changed the light mounting a bit. Was a pain in the ... before to get in and out of the tank without bumping the light mounts. I ordered some 48" sticks of 1010 from 80/20.net to run the full length of the tank. Much cleaner and I can slide the lights from left to right to get them exactly where I want them.

Old setup.

post-1771-0-44093200-1332173957_thumb.jp

New setup.

post-1771-0-47056500-1332173998_thumb.jppost-1771-0-77754200-1332174036_thumb.jppost-1771-0-05052400-1332174079_thumb.jppost-1771-0-16095500-1332174123_thumb.jp

Edited by DerrickH

Well no apex today...nothing like some CSR screw up on their end(MD). Got tracking number but never shipped...imagine that. Well now overnight freight on their dime, bet it don't show till Monday next week. This is the third order they have messed up, and their last with me.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I have dino or not but something is amis in my lil piece of the ocean. I planned on coming home from work yesterday and finishing my breakout box for the apex so I can hook up my float switches. Instead I walked in the door and there is the wet side of my MP40 laying in the sand bed, and the motor hanging by the cord. My stepson said he tripped and knocked it loose. Well it didnt burn up but I also noticed there was ZERO water movement in the tank...wth??? The return pump set to off by the APEX?? Nope, it was just locked up.. Took an act of congress to get it out since its external. Had to empty the sump, remove the chiller, remove all the plumbing and shimmy by big *ss inside the stand to remove it. The rotor was locked up solid. Its supposed to be black and the pump body is encased in blue plastic, however all the internals were solid white....CALCIUM! I chipped it all off and cleaned it good and low and behold it fired right back up. Nothing died so not too bad. I did finish my box and now have to cobble some sort of float switch mounting arrangement. going to utilize 4 switches. On in the DT in the event that the drain pipe got stopped up so the tank wont overflow, one in the return sump chamber for ATO, one in the main chamber in sump so if my bubble trap gets stopped up it sends me a message so I know to clean it out, and one in my skimmer cup so it doesnt overflow for some strange reason. Will take some pics of the box but it turned out pretty clean. Used mono headphone jacks, a simple project box from radioshack, a mini din 8 cable.

• 2 months later...

Well Im at work at 7am...which is unusual as Im only required to be here at 8am and I love sleep. Well my little one woke up at 5am and was hungry so my GF got up to feed him and then came back in and said "your tanks making a weird noise"....so I proceeded to going into the kitchen only to find about 15g of water on the kitchen floor. Thank god for tile....well a bazzillion towels later and I still havent a clue wtf was or is leaking. Im out of salt and my sump is **** near empty. I filled up my ATO reservoir last night as it was empty and sump was a couple inches low and walked away. After cleaning up all the saltwater, removing the ATO reservoir from the stand, removing the skimmer overflow tank from the stand and a quick inspection. None of my plumbing is leaking.....strange. The sump had about 4" of water in it with the skimmer running and the return pump was cavitating and blowing air into the DT. Whats weird is my skimmer overflow tank was completely full and I emptied it yesterday. Its about 3 gallons. Not sure wtf is going on but today when I get off work going to pick up some salt so I can fill it back up. Only thing I can think of is the skimmer filled up the overflow and the water came out of the vent on the overflow tank which in turn drained a ton of water out of my sump, or the dang sump is leaking. There is water under my sump but after cleaning it all up, adjusting my returns downward (submerging them about 5" under DT surface and then killing the return to let it siphon back and fill the sump back up, NO WATER leaked out of the sump. This makes no sense. If the skimmer overflow is the problem, when the water level got low enough in the sump, the skimmer should have quit filling up the collection cup so that cant be it. To me only way for the sump to loose water is 1) if the pump pumped it out...2) sump is leaking. Before I fill it back up tonight, Im going to drain the sump out, pull it out, and take it out into my garage and fill it up and see what happens. This sucks!