Plasma lights for aquariums?

wa1tx

LED's have been shown to produce as much growth as MH time and time again over the last 2-3 years. If you don't want to drink the cool ade thats up to you :). Im sure with the cost of plasma they will be like the betamax was to vhs.

The plasma's might catch on for large tanks. I don't think they can dethrone or even compete with LED's for smaller usage. One of the best things about LED's is they scale in either direction. A 15W MH would be pretty useless, and a plasma would be even more so.

Here's a pretty good recent article as well: http://reefbuilders.com/2011/04/07/gavita-plasma-reef/

LED's in my industry have never been a good option, even these days. Not enough light penetration for tall plant canopies although some farmers use them for crops less than 12" tall....lettuce and herbs. We have customers with big gardens calling us complaining about having to get rid of thoudands of dollars worth of LED fixtures and go back to MH and HPS.

Plasma on the other hand has a chance IMO, its seems to be a cross between LED and MH. Its runs cooler than a MH but not as cools as LED. It puts on an incredible amount of light for such a small bulb. Imagine the lumens put out by a 400 watt MH from a bulb just larger than an LED. It doesn't put out much radiation like LED, but has much more bulb heat than an LED. Plasma has the ability to put out many spectrums of light from a single bulb, pretty cool.

Don't count out plasma just yet, I see them at every trade show.

Aquajohn what objective experiments are published that show led lights grow as well as MH? I have not seen anything objective other than someone saying it worked it their tank. I will gladly drink the kool-aide if I see objective evidence they are as good. :)