Hyposalinity Quarantine Tank

BBReefer

I have started a quarantine tank and been reading about hyposalinity treatment for ich. I am thinking about setting up the tank at 1.009 regardless if the new fish have ich or not. This way when I introdue the fish to the DT I don't have to worry about ich? Just curioous to see what the positives or negative aspect of doing this would be? I of course would bring the salt levels slowly up to normal before I put the fish into the DT...

Edited by lucag

When you bring home a new fish it's gonna take a long time to acclimate it to a sg of 1.009. When i did the hypo tank treatment i lowered the sg from 1.026 to 1.009 over the course of a few days with no ill effects. Last time i brought home fish i did a medicated bath then a fw dip to hopefully not bring home ich again, then they went into the qt tank, so far so good..the tank they came from had a tang in it lol. Marine ich is a freakin nightmare!

Very indepth article. I did not have time to read it all. I focused on and especially liked the proactive adittion of ingrediants to stimulate enzyme reactions to aid immune system defenses and to establish metabolic pathways. I am going to read on this some more at another time. Stress in fish as with people is complicated and far reaching in the consequenes.