Do hermit crabs eat coralline?

KevinB

So my LR from florida still has a fair amount of detritus and dead or dying micro and macro algae on it so I picked up a few hermits and an emerald crab from RCA to help get the rocks cleaned off. They seem to be happy, especially the emerald crab who is really going to town on the detritus. However I've seen the hermit crabs picking at the coralline algae more than anything else. I assumed they were after dead stuff on top of the coralline, but after almost a week of their activities, I can definitely see a reduction in the amount of coralline covering my rocks where they have been most active. It doesn't look to me like natural die off, but rather looks like its been picked at. Is this typical for all hermits? These are a red legged variety.

They have been banished to the refugium for now, should I take them back to RCA and get something else to help with the dead stuff on the rocks?

thanks!

I don't ever recall hearing hermit crabs eating coralline algae. I would more suspect they have been been picking at the dying stuff. Your coralline is also ptbably going through a transition stage as it adapts to your lights in the the tank. So some will die off, and others will start to florish.

I would put the hermits back in and let them clean up the rock so the coraling can have nice clean areas to spread.

I would not fret over hermits grazing. If they are removing coraline in one area, it more than likely it is growing elsewhere. I limit my use of hermits because of there voracious appetite for snails. Hermits are easily replced with numerous other detrivores:

http://www.inlandaquatics.com/DETRITIVORES.html

http://ipsf.com/

I would get rid of the snails. Not because they are removing unhealthy coraline but because they remove other desirable things in my detrivore crew.