Where to buy dry rock?

Warlock

Dry is best in terms of avoiding pests.

Prof at Epic reef(soon to be named something else) has had dry rock and sand in the past. Give him a call and see what he has.

Mark(Mr Saltwatertank) is quite fond of Dr Tim's bacteria in a bottle if you want to speed up the process. He has a review video of it, check his site for it.

If you use the bacteria in a bottle you wont need live sand. However, using "dry" dead sand will give you a larger diatom bloom during cycling since there are far more silicates in dry sand vs "live" sand. When I set my tank up after the move, I used a couple bags of live sand and sun bleached rock and my cycle took only a couple weeks. I did however use some damsels and I regret it every day, they are punks and near impossible to catch, especially with a canopy on my tank.

You need to seed the tank with something. You can use a piece of raw shrimp for this. Also, there are direct ammonia methods to do this. Just google "saltwater cycle methods" and there should be a lot of different ways. Bacteria in a bottle is the fastest and natural I believe. Hit Mark up on this, he knows where to get it.

Warlock, you need something that will raise the ammonia to get the cycle moving along. The live sand will be live in itself, but the dead rock needs the bacteria created by the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia needs to be produced and the byproduct is the beneficial bacteria through the cycle.