Light upgrade advice

Aqua Girl

My husband won't let me get a larger tank until I finish school and find a job and move into a permanent living situation. So until then, I would like to make the most out of my little biocube and I would love to be able to keep sps and a clam, and also not have the tank look stark white like it does now with the PC lights that I have. I would say my budget is around $200 (preferably less) and I am not looking to purchase immediately. Sooner would be great but what I have now is adequate so I want to make the most informed decision and if it takes a few months to make up my mind then that is perfectly fine. So I don't think that I want a metal halide fixture because I dont want to have to purchase a chiller or worry about heat related issues. I would like LEDs but from what I know, they are relatively expensive, and I am not an electrician by any means so a DIY kind of thing worries me. I just don't trust myself when it comes to me putting together something that I know will be plugged into electricity. I do understand the benefit to having LEDs such as great efficiency, low heat, 50,000 hours of use (meaning not having to replace expensive bulbs every year). So I have been looking at some T5 fixtures just trying to figure it all out. From what I have heard, they do not create as much heat as MH which is kind of what I am going for. So there are several that Ive been looking at and Im sure there are tons more that I have not even seen or considered but basically they are 24 inch fixtures that all have 4 - 24w bulbs. My biocube has a depth of about 18 inches. Is 96 watts enough to support the sps and clam that I desire? Also are there cheaper LEDs fixtures that I am just unaware of where I would not have to DIY it myself. OR Should I suck it up and attempt a DIY? I also do not want to have to hang anything from the ceiling. Even after all the lighting research I have done, I still feel pretty ignorant about it all.

And thanks to many of you that I have messaged about your personal lighting situations. I have a hard time choosing what I want to eat at a restaurant and now I have to make a decision that will affect my tankmates (and my wallet--err husbands wallet). So as you can see I really don't know what I'm doing, just trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks

Angela

I've sent rapidled an email asking about a plug and play kit for the biocube 29 or possibly buying their 24 led plug and play and buying the biocube heatsink+fans allowing me to have spare LED or possibly using the extra LED for a pico tank build. to surprise my GF with seahorses like she wants.

I'll let you know their response and end price, would be close to your $200 probably a smidge over.

Edited by BiocubeD

Rob> I am slightly weary of ebay's no-brand led's just from the couple reef threads I have researched but I will continue to do more research> Thanks!

Biocube> That would be cool, let me know. I am willing to sacrifice my canopy and go open top but if I could keep the canopy, that would be awesome.

Rgoodwill> I don't even trust my husband enough (in regards to fishkeeping) to top off the water everyday :)

• Like 1

150-watt clip-on metal halide is what I would do. Most people are getting rid of them on this forum for under $100. Add a fan to keep temperatures more constant and you're done. But I wouldn't do it without an auto-top off as you'll be topping off your tank all the time. Even if you bought and setup an auto-top off, it'll still be under $200 for the whole switch.

I know nothing of LEDs so take that into consideration.

-Ty

I would suggest a Sunpod (MH, comes in a variety of wattages) or a Nova Extreme Pro (4 bulb if you want to keep SPS); neither will let you keep your top, but they come up used in the $75-125 range all the time on the Nano-Reef hardware forum. Either, or any 4-bulb T5 fixture, will keep clams and SPS. Regardless of your lighting choice, an ATO is a great thing!

Mark (Mr. Saltwater Tank) did an episode on LEDs awhile back you may want to check out before you DIY anything.

I just did a rough price on rapid led and it looks like it will be 235 for the parts needed (solderless/plug and play) Then a few aluminum channel pieces from home depot. Would be rather simple and I also priced up the same sort of kit in the DIY form (soldering required) it came out only 26 dollars cheaper, to me $26 bucks is worth it to quickly and easily set up my lights.

Also keep in mind that my pricing is for 24 total LED, you only need 20 for the biocube. I'll be using my 4 extra for the lighting of my sump that I'm putting in the 29 biocube stand, or a pico tank for the gf as a surprise.

That RapidLed plug and play might be the winner. Now, with the LEDs do most people just stick with a 1:1 ratio of blues and whites? I'd prefer a more blue-ish look but not sure if the LEDs 1:1 would naturally produce something like that. .

BiocubeD> when you get yours set up, and if you wouldnt mind, I might have to come check it out to see the look of your ratio and see if it is the kind of hue that I would like. Are you going for the dimmable version?

Does RapidLed ship pretty quickly?

Thanks everyone

That RapidLed plug and play might be the winner. Now, with the LEDs do most people just stick with a 1:1 ratio of blues and whites? I'd prefer a more blue-ish look but not sure if the LEDs 1:1 would naturally produce something like that. .

BiocubeD> when you get yours set up, and if you wouldnt mind, I might have to come check it out to see the look of your ratio and see if it is the kind of hue that I would like. Are you going for the dimmable version?

Does RapidLed ship pretty quickly?

Thanks everyone

Yes I'm going dimmable, and that is what I priced out... I always price High so when i purchase I have extra cash.... the extra cash is either my situation diffusion, (like when i come home with fish stuff and the gf is completely upset I offer to take her where ever for dinner and a movie.) If she is not upset and does not care about what im currently doing then the extra cash goes right into the tank for more fun!

I have heard they ship fast plus mentioning tommy in dallas is suppose to get us a discount. I'm sticking with a 1:1 ratio and since they are both dimmable I will run them to look how I want, plus im getting 24 LED and only using 20 on the biocube so if I dont like my ratio I'll have the extra to swap in and out. your more than welcome to come check out the new tank once I get it all set up.... I'm still about 2 months away from total completion. It will be slow until about 1.5 months from now when I get all my cash together and get everything rolling in for a weekend of fun.

Sorry for my rambles I just woke up, getting ready to head for work.

Aquagirl. I would not go a 1:1 ratio depending on which LED's you are choosing this is actually very important. When are you planning on making this purchase? I want to provide you with the correct information but its so much that it would be so much easier to make a youtube video. I cant make the video until Wednesday though because my shipment gets there on that day. I am making a all inclusive tutorial for led selection and DIY. If you are doing it sooner than I can just write the information down I guess.

I just put together the rapidled dimmable kit for my Biocube 29 and it wasn't really difficult at all, just kinda time consuming. I ordered my kit on a Monday and got it on Wednesday last week. I posted a build post on reefcentral if you want to check out some pictures of before and after here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2091380

I can answer questions about assembly if you have any and could possibly assist with soldering everything together.

Rgoodwill> I have my last final of this semester in 4 weeks which is most likely when I will plan on purchasing the new lights. If I get them now, it will just distract me from my studies.

Slowwrx137> cool thanks, I will definitely check it out.

Jason> That is good to know. But the RapidLed website for the solderless product I am looking at states that "Currently only royal blue, cool white and neutral white colors are available" so I am limited to these colors alone.

Can you tell me the big difference between neutral white and cool white? I read one article about a few people's rants but curious as to what other information I am missing. Is it important to have all three? Do the different whites offer some significant difference that benefit the corals or is it for asthetic purposes that you would want to use the two different ones together along with the higher ratio of Royal blues.

Edited by Aqua Girl

As far as the color produced from a 1:1 blue white combo. I think the people that complain are the 1% that are obsessive compulsive lol. If you go dimmable then you can raise or lower the blue content all you want. For me I have my 29gal nano about 2 ft from my 110 and with a 1:1 royal blue to white <standard rapid kit> it looks colse to the same as my 110 that has 2 400watt MH and 2 48" t5's and I am running the leds at the same power so did not have the blues at say 80% and the white at 50%

As far as the color produced from a 1:1 blue white combo. I think the people that complain are the 1% that are obsessive compulsive lol. If you go dimmable then you can raise or lower the blue content all you want. For me I have my 29gal nano about 2 ft from my 110 and with a 1:1 royal blue to white <standard rapid kit> it looks colse to the same as my 110 that has 2 400watt MH and 2 48" t5's and I am running the leds at the same power so did not have the blues at say 80% and the white at 50%

+1 ---- Dimmable is why im choosing 1:1

I will not claim to not be obsessive compulsive in this hobby, I certainly am. But for me, I spend a lot of money and I want to make sure I get the best product I can for that money. If you look at the difference of a 1:1 ratio versus some of the others, you will find that the 1:1 ratio does not bring out all the colors as well as a more mixed look does. Generally the reds and greens are somewhat muted under 1:1. Since the cost of buying the LEDs in a 1:1 versus a different mix is no different, I would rather have a superior product for the same price.

Aquagirl, you said "Currently only royal blue, cool white and neutral white colors are available." In that case, I would go with a mix of XPG neutral whites and XPE Royal Blues in a 1:2 ratio. I think the color of the neutral whites is a bit better than the cool whites. It seems more natural.