Evening

dmccoy26

Evening everyone. I've been fresh water keeping for about 6 years now and have an excellent 30 gallon tank with an angel that lays eggs almost every week. BUT, I've decided (with the wifes permission) to embark on a new salt water adventure.

I've been reading about salt water keeping on and off for about 2 years and i'm finally going to take the plunge. I'm picking up my new tank on wednesday and hopefully, I'll have it all bought and put together by this fall. The one thing that gets me, is the shear cost of Live Rock. Is it possible to make some life rock, while I'm putting my setup together? I was thinking about buying a little kids swimming pool, mixing some salt water and placing a few power heads in it and let it steep for a few months. Would that work? What type of rock is best for marine tanks? Oh and Hi to everyone in South Austin! Thanks In Advance -Dan

Welcome to the club and SW! There is a thread somewhere in the DIY forum I think about making rock out of concrete. However I would strongly recommend taking the plunge and buying real LR. You will never get all the benefits of LR from homemade. It is very expensive but many LFS will give you a discount if you buy in quantity. In my opinion it is worth the extra cost.

we've had a good amount of liverock available fairly cheap, lots of algae on it though, so long as you don't mind giving your cleanup critters a week to get it all looking tidy, you can pick up good stack of rock for 4 bucks a pound right now.

we've had a good amount of liverock available fairly cheap, lots of algae on it though, so long as you don't mind giving your cleanup critters a week to get it all looking tidy, you can pick up good stack of rock for 4 bucks a pound right now.
Hi CaptainBob, I just Aquatek this weekend and had a look around. Any idea on how long the LR is going to be $4/lb?
Welcome to the club and SW! There is a thread somewhere in the DIY forum I think about making rock out of concrete. However I would strongly recommend taking the plunge and buying real LR. You will never get all the benefits of LR from homemade. It is very expensive but many LFS will give you a discount if you buy in quantity. In my opinion it is worth the extra cost.
Yes, I have read about DIY concrete rocks. Not to sure how I feel about putting concrete in my tank. I have tossed around the Idea of seeding dead rock with a few pieces of LR. Has anyone tried this? How much LR vs DR is needed to seed properly?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the club dm! :D good luck with your new tank, I have a feeling you'll love it! Its always good to hear of someone putting in the research before hand, that will make things go so much smoother for you ^_~ ... you're in luck about the live rock, a lot of stores are running fairly cheap at the moment. I know we've currently got some really interesting and textured pieces in the $4-$5 range. It needs a little more curing time, but has some very nice coralline growth on it :hug:

-Kat :D