Does anyone play disc-golf?

ACampbell

I used to play a lot. I think the best course is Pease Park on Lamar. The one off Slaughter lane is good too, but far from me so I never go there. It is a little east of Manchaca on Slaughter in a park that is by some apts. I can't remember the name of it. In Round Rock there is on in Settlers park behind Dell Diamond. It is wide open but VERY long. HTH

Pease Park is right near me at Lamar and 24th... totally not my style though. First I like normal golf way more than frisbee golf and second, not my scene what with the hippies and what not.

John

The one off Slaughter lane is good too, but far from me so I never go there.  It is a little east of Manchaca on Slaughter in a park that is by some apts.  I can't remember the name of it....

Mary Moore Searight Park. It's right next to where my wife teaches, so you could also look up Paredes Middle School to find it. There is also a model airplane club/runway there if you are in to that (can't fly without being a member, but welcome to watch).

The manager at my office plays A LOT! He plays in tournaments and is just about on the level of the pros.

Call my office if you want and ask to speak to Garin. The number is 339-2020. I know he really likes a course in Georgetown, but I don't know where else he plays. He lives in Wells Branch. His last big tourny was in Lago Vista. Just tell him you know me from the fish forum. He'll be glad to talk to you and might even want to go play sometime and show you his favorite courses.

-Sundra

• 2 months later...

I just played for the first time a few days ago. There is a course in Cat Hollow/Brushy Creek off 620 and O'Conner. Take O'connor off 620 at the HEB (only goes one way), turn right at the four way stop drive down a block or so and park. Course begins just off trail cacross from Cat hollow Park.

Go to pdga.com and click on courses. It will show you all of them and how far they are from your house. Click on an individual course and it will tell you how many holes, facilities, terrain etc. On some of them you can print out a course map and score sheet. I have played most of the courses in the Austin area so let me know if you need any info on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally missed this thread for way too long. I play quite regularly, and I've even got like 4 or 5 customers I play with, as well as my uncle and 2 old friends of mine too. I've been playing for like 3 years, but only seriously for just over 1.

Courses in town are as follows (North to Southmost, respectively)

WilCo Park (1431)

Old Settlers Park (3406?)

Cat Hollow (Avery Ranch Blvd)

Wells Branch (Wells Branch Pkwy)

E 51st Street (cant remember the name)

Pease Park (Lamar x 24th)

Circle C (Slaughter - W of Mopac)

Seawright MaryMoore (Slaughter - just W of I-35)

I left out courses that are out of Austin/RR city limits, which includes Lago Vista (2 courses) and Twin Oaks Country Club. There are also more courses in the Southern most area of Austin, supposedly around Camels Hole, Dripping Springs, etc..

For more info, WilCo is a brand new park, literally, it's VERY nice (other than having only one trash can), and 80% canopied by trees, making it very friendly for playing in hot weather, at any time of day. It requires a $1 donation per person per day you play, or a $40 annual membership (worth it, if you live up North, like I do 4 mins away). Old Settlers sucks, unless you're cool with throwing and walking for 2-3 hours, with little obstacles/technical parts. Cat Hollow is a good neighborhood course, but you'll always encounter wind. Wells Branch is a very small course with VERY short holes, and essentially no technicalities. I cant play there by the rules, instead, I have to make up my own tee-boxes a good whole throws distance from the existing tee-box, only to make it worth calling "par 3." That course is right down the street from my moms house, so I go there maybe once a month just to mess around for 25-30 minutes (the field next to it is great for practicing drives). The course on 51st Street was built on a landfil. It's not a nice park, and it's very hard to figure out and navigate, and the only technical holes are all around water, which isn't so bad, except it's generally deep, not to mention garbage landfill water... I'll never go again LOL. Pease is constantly changing, and I haven't liked Pease for about a whole year, just because they completely changed my fave holes. MaryMoore is awesome, WONDERFULLY maintained, plenty technical, very easy to navigate, right across the street from an amazing disc shop (Disc Nation), and never PACKED full of people, like Pease usually is. Circle C is definately not an amature course, it takes me and a friend or two 1.75-2.25 hours to complete, but first timers should expect to be out there for closer to 3 hours. It's a GREAT course, easily the best in town, very well taken care of, and plenty difficult, scenic, and natural.

One of my friends now lives in San Marcos, and my uncle lives in Kyle, and Kyle just opened a course up in August that is rather nice and technical for being cramped into such a small surface area, a very well utilized piece of land. There is a course for one of the frats in San Marcos that my room mate used to belong to, and it's got 24 hour lighting on the course, and I've got invites through him to go play, but I have no first hand experience. Also, on campus down there, they have another course that my friend plays 3 times a week at least, but I've again never played that one myself.

I generally play 1-4 times a week, even 2 courses in one day if I have time (I only have 2 weekdays off), but if you'd like to PM me, I can figure out if you live remotely within reason of where I'm at and where I regularly play, and exchange numbers if you're serious about playing. The people I play with are young adults who are very very relaxed, so dont expect to be playing with any serious, or mature people above 21, LOL (but if you are that type, dont be scared off :P).

Hope this helps.

i used to play ALOT, like at least 4-5 times a week. mostly the course in san marcos, on campus, not a bad course, but mostly difficult because of the steep hills, i would recomend it, especially if you've never played it, it's different than the others around. my personal favorite course is circleC, long holes, lots of trees, fairly difficult course, and nice surroundings. the course up in wimberly is nice too, very secluded.