Are File fish toxic ?

AquaJohn

I noticed the file fish looks like it has small spines all over its body are they sharp ? I know its got the big honking horn up top :). and are they toxic to other fish if they get attacked.

I ask because I saw my purple tang smack him a good one with his tail on Sunday and Monday the tang was in the rocks with his head pointed to the sand :( I figured he was a gonner but today he actualy came out for a bit but still very timid and not eating and he is a PIG!!!

It may just be it hurt and the tang was put in his place he does pout if I move rocks or add stuff to the tank but it usualy only lasts a day at most..

John, as you have surmised, fish have personalaties. I have a file fish: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+30+140&pcatid=140

I find this fish to be peaceful and shy. Yes, it does have sharp spines on the anterior dorsal fin. It is easy to be peaceful, when your armor is threatning.

Patrick

Ya the file fish is very mellow it was the tang that smacked him a good one. The file fish has never bothered anyone other than the aptasia and thats a good thing. Well whatever bothered the tang hes it out and about more so must be feeling better.