Pirahna's in Houston

jestep

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/texas/piranha-caught-in-suburban-houston-lake

This is the sort of crap that gives the aquarium hobby a really bad name. Even though Pirahna's aren't as dangerous or aggressive as most would like to believe they're one of those stigma species that just sounds bad no matter what the facts about them are. News like this is the kind of thing that leads to further regulation. If you can't keep a fish, you're far better off killing them than releasing them. Sad but don't ruin this hobby because you bought a fish that you cant keep. Just a rant...

http://www.kxan.com/...an-houston-lake

. . . Just a rant . . .

I'll second your rant! I am dumbfounded sometimes by what people ask me to get them just so they can brag about it to their friends and I know once the novelty wears of in a couple of months the animals will die of neglect at best.

I have owned "illegal" species before but I am too resonsible to dump them in a lake or even get rid of them at all. Its people like that that make it so responsible people can't keep them. I just think it is so strange to get a caiman or pirana and just dump it when you don't want it.

That's crazy. I've seen people in in Texas trying to find FW stingrays and pirarucu (coolest FW fish ever by the way) not even knowing they're illegal because they can both survive in much of texas waters. Wouldn't it feed nice to step on a 2 - 3ft poisonous stingray while wading in a local river. But, it was so cute when it was only 3"...

That is cool someone else has seen a gator in lake Travis. I saw one last year while night fishing about that size. Was swimming around the bottom where we had our flood lights pointed, on the northern side of Hudson bend.

Not quite clear, you're suggesting a freight ship had a freshwater ballast of piranhas and alligators, and they somehow got 300 miles inland?

I can agree that there may not be a scientific method of proving a hobbyist let them go in a lake, but I can't see any other plausable explanation for it. It's pretty well accepted that aquarium keepers let their fish and plants lose into native bodies of water when they can't keep them. Just around Austin, common pleco's, water lettuce, and water hyacinth are wrecking most of the local river systems. On that note common pleco's shouldn't even be allowed as 99/100 people that buy them do not have a tank large enough. Florida is having a massive Hydrillia problem that's directly been linked to aquarists in the 1960's, and their reefs are being wrecked by non-native lionfish. Aquarists are directly responsible for major devistation from releasing their unwanted plants and animals.

Archived