Alk Test Kits

MasonHoff

API, Salifert, Lamotte, Hanna

some one told me API test kits run low.

which test kit do you use and why?

any kits have you found not to be true?

Have not used the API for alk, but I have used the Salifert and the New Red sea pro test kits. I have been happy with both kits, and they usually test within 0.3-0.5 dkh of one another. They are both fairly easy to use and as far as I can tell provide pretty good accuracy. I would recommend both, the salifert is a little cheaper up front, but red sea offers reagent refills that are a little cheaper than buying a new kit. The red sea come in a a nice plastic case, which is why it is a little more expensive. I have not used the Hanna, but have read good things about it, plus I guess it is way easier to use if you don't wanna mess around with the titration, colors and converting numbers to dkh. Hope that helps, I am sure that there are plenty of folks that have used the Hanna that will chime in.

+1 for Hanna. I've used ELOS and API before I switched to Hanna. ELOS is right inline with what I get from Hanna, API is always higher.

My recommendation is to go with Hanna. Alk is the one thing that you want to be as exacting with as possible and the Hanna checker provides you this capability.

Edited by BBMarlin

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone let me use hanna to calibrate current method of vial with sw and liquid regeant. (i have two salifert, and api that came with the tank) i have been using my api test for 6 months cause of how quick it is. and have kept it between 9-11 dkh. untill someone told api test were wacky so i just want to test!