Red Sea Max temp up, do I need a chiller?

labradorduck

I just re set up my RSM 130 after moving to my new apartment. (Everything died in the divorce/move)

I have 30-40lbs live(ish) rock in there and an extra powerhead circulating the water.

The temp in my home is 81-85, but this morning(and yesterday) the temperature was 86+ in my tank. I had the lights off all day.

Is the extra powerhead giving off that much heat?

Am I needing to buy a fan/chiller?

If I need a chiller, what kind should I get for that size tank?

Any help is appreciated,

Dan

There's no way to get your tank temp down to the room temperature, fans or anything else. You can generally expect 2 - 10 degrees above room temp depending on the pumps, how intense the lighting it, and if there's any fans cooling the lights or the surface of the water. Unless you can lower the room temperature, I wouldn't expect to get lower than 83 even if you are blowing air on the light fixture and the surface of the water for evaporative cooling.

Even if I have a chiller on a system I like to use fans to help reduce the workload on the chiller. Discoma sp. mushrooms and zoas/palys will tolerate 86 better than alot of other inverts but I wouldn't risk anything delicate or expensive if your tank is staying that warm.

• 2 weeks later...