nikkor f/2.8G AF-S DX micro lens

Grim

nikkor f/2.8G AF-S DX micro lens

Just wondering if anyone of you guys out there have tried this new lens on your tanks or coral........... If so WHAT DO YOU THINK? The price being around $270.00 not to bad for 2.8 and it seem to me that it could possibly be a great daily walk around lens with out the crazy price tag for "GOOD GLASS"

But we shall see...............

post-2050-0-10218100-1315679905_thumb.jp

Edited by Grim

Since it just recently was released you probably won't find many with it. But yeah, the price for a true Micro Nikkor makes it hard to pass up.

Check Nikon Cafe, Lens Lust subforum. I think there are some examples.

Like any macro lens, it will probably be very good to exceptional in image quality regardless of how used. I don't think I'd want to use it for true macro work with the possible exception of product work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, curious where you have seen this lens and especially at that price... I've been looking online and they are priced at $300 and up. I'd really like to take a look at it before I shell out money for it. Just curious. Thanks guys.

also when u buy a lense make sure its a MACRO not micro. big difference. i may be selling my macro for nikon since my son threw my body(nikon) in a bucket of salt water.

Correct me if i'm wrong BUT macro and micro usually refers to the same thing, in that Nikon names their range of ‘macro lenses’ with the word ’micro’. Canon on the other hand, calls them macro lenses.

not a professional, i thnk there is a differance.

Im not calling you out but just want 2 make it clear.......

i know it makes a difference when comes 2............ micro macro & close up photography................... but for example, Nikons top macro lens is called AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens. Notice the term micro in that name.

Now for comparisons sake, Canon’s top macro lens is called a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. This time, instead of seeing the term micro, you’ll notice the term macro within the lens name.

and if your looking for a "macro" lens then you would want a -TRUE MACRO LENS-

but my point being is that this is a nice lens with out the true macro lens price TAG..........

But, Grim, it is a true macro lens. But, also as you point out, it doesn't cost what a true macro lens normally would. Hence the appeal.

And you may already know this, but that 40 will require that you be right on top of what ever you're shooting to get true 1:1 reproduction. Hence, the main macros being in the 90-105 range. You can be a reasonable distance away and still get life size images. The 150-180 range extended the working distance even further.

If you want a 90-105 range macro, but don't want to pay the full price tag look at a used one. The older Nikkors will work on the new cameras but might not focus or meter. The Sigma/Tamron/Tokina models are also good and a bit cheaper as well.

But, Grim, it is a true macro lens. But, also as you point out, it doesn't cost what a true macro lens normally would. Hence the appeal.

And you may already know this, but that 40 will require that you be right on top of what ever you're shooting to get true 1:1 reproduction. Hence, the main macros being in the 90-105 range. You can be a reasonable distance away and still get life size images. The 150-180 range extended the working distance even further.

If you want a 90-105 range macro, but don't want to pay the full price tag look at a used one. The older Nikkors will work on the new cameras but might not focus or meter. The Sigma/Tamron/Tokina models are also good and a bit cheaper as well.

but when shooting coral in a tank you kind need 2 be pressed against the glass anyway so being right on top of what ever you're shooting works out

so i think this 40 with a nice polarizing filter will do the trick

You don't have to be up against the glass. All of the macros I've taken have been 2-12" away from the glass.

With the 40 you would probably be right on it due to the working distance. I'm not saying it won't work but you'd be better served getting the 85 version or longer.

Regardless, I'm sure that lens will have great image quality. And, as mentioned before, the price to quality ratio is tough to beat. Same reason I picked up the 35/1.8.

As a Nikon shooter since 1973, yes I'm old, the term "micro" has always been used by Nikon for a "macro" lens. I think what Jeremy is trying to say is make sure you are not getting a black/grey market lens. I haven't check the link provide so don't shot me for the last comment.

Dave-

the lense i bought was a Sigma 105mm f2.8 ex dg macro. It takes some awesome pics but u HAVE to have it on a tripod or be VERY still.

I've use this lens it's AWESOME. Not only could I photograph stuff in the front of the tank but also on the back. The only draw back is it loses sharpness after f/11. My avatar was taken using that lens (along with some hdr).

Here is a link to some real photos taken with that lens:

Macro Photos

Dave-

I guess I should have posted this all at one time. :duh:

• 2 months later...