My BTA is dying!

KarenM

Last Friday I did a minor seascape change, along with adding a couple more live rocks and changed out the actinic bulb.

My 6" BTA was quickly gaining color and on it's way to perfect health. It was backed into the intersection of 3 rocks - a large one on the bottom, and 2 med sized ones on the top. The larger one was at a 45 degree angle. I carefully removed the 2 top rocks and laid the bottom rock down flat. Then I put another rock on top of it, being careful not to smash the BTA between the rocks. It's been unhappy ever since, shrinking smaller every day.

It seems to not like the new bulb. This morning it was it's unhappy self until I turned on the lights, then it balled itselt up so small you can't see any tentacles at all. It's just a 2" brown ball.

Is there any way I can save it?

Anemone's are picky about the flow and light. Prior to the aquascaping, it was probably in it's preferred spot. But by changing the rocks, you have altered the water flow and such.

Truthfully, if the anemone is not deteriorating, then you should be OK. It should go on the move sometime to find a better spot (so watch out, as it might find a spot near some corals and sting them).

Anemone's are picky about the flow and light. Prior to the aquascaping, it was probably in it's preferred spot. But by changing the rocks, you have altered the water flow and such.

Truthfully, if the anemone is not deteriorating, then you should be OK. It should go on the move sometime to find a better spot (so watch out, as it might find a spot near some corals and sting them).

It seems to be a little better now. One of the major problems was my nitrates had spiked up to about 60. I did a water change (about 35%), and messed around a little with the powerheads. It did eat yesterday but very, very slowly. It usually has a good appetite and will eat every day if I feed it. I'm hoping the problem was the nitrates, and that it's on the mend now.

I think you should definitely slow down on the feeding. They really only need about once a week if that much. More than likely it was taking what you fed and then spitting it back out later. Which could be adding to your elevated parameters.

Maybe i missed it, but what are you feeding it?

If it's anything larger than a mysis or a chopped krill, it's probably too big and won't be able to properly digest it. Also Gabriel's advice about feeding less is correct. Once a week is more than enough. But make sure it can digest what you are feeding it.

I feed it small pieces of krill, and I cut down on feeding it a few weeks ago. I've been offering it tiny pieces the last few days hoping that would help it feel better. I did an emergency water change on Sunday, and yesterday my nitrates were still down to about 15-20. I thought I'd do another water change today.

The BTA was still looking only about half-way normal last night. This morning it was wadded up into a tiny ball again. :o( My poor clown doesn't know what to do. He had his face hidden in it, but his tail sticking out.

I would quit trying to feed it until it recovers. The more you mess with it the more stressed it will get. The best thing you can do is keep an eye on your parameters and leave it be. Hopefully it will make a full recovery.

I stopped yesterday and got the water, just didn't have time to do the change. I'll do it this afternoon. But my nitrates have never been at zero, usually between 5 and 10. With the exception of a xenia frag that was doing great and is now only so-so, everything else is fine. All my fish & critters, mushrooms, zoo frags, and frogspawn all look fine.

I did another water change yesterday, so I'll test it again today.

Still no sign of the blenny, so I'm pretty sure he died. Can't find any remains, though. Everything else is accounted for and seems to be doing well, except the BTA. This morning when I got up at 4AM it looked better, opened up about 75%. When I left at 5:30 it was wadded up again, with the poor clown stuck in the middle. It's almost like something is harrassing it, but I haven't gotten any new critters (that I know of), and I haven't seen anything bothering it.

• 1 month later...

anenomes are simple creatures. well not really simple but thier systems are not that complex. thier bodies are mostly water. thier main body cavity is where everything happens. this may sound off but try to find a zoology book and check out the chapter on em. understanding how the creature works may help you more than anything.

this is my experience and what i remember from the zoology lab. another good place to check out is about.com. they have a good collection of articles. i dont remember how recent but i so far havve had great luck with thier advice. but here is what i have come to understand. light is important but not THE most important, they get a majority of thier energy/nutrition/etc from feedings not the light. water quality is everything with these systems. they do not do change well. let it be. one of the best things you can do is keep the water at the cleanest properties it can be at. if the light is too strong try adding a screen above the animal to cut some light. whatever you end up doing letting it rest is probably the best. any change you do do it slowly. shock is really something that will kill this creature.

best luck.

Edited by chatfouz