2 fish MIA in one week

dshel1217

I lost (by lost never found any sort of remains) two fish a cleaner wrasse and a dartfish in a week. Both fish were happy and healthly when I saw them last then one night gone. I have also found the remains of a hermit crab, one of my bigger ones, and a mexican turbo. My tank has been running for about 7 months. Will check my water parameters/ levels tomorrow. My remaining fish (clown, royal gama, and a 5" convict blenny) have moved to higher parts of the tank. My royal gama moved from his cave/home (he moved in about 2 months ago) near the bottom of the tank to the highest part and so has the cleaning shrimp. Also I think I hear a clicking noise but I could just be hearing things.

Action taken:

I have my tank covered with a black blanket and going to wait until later tonight to see if I find out whats going on.

Do I have a hitchhiker that has grown large enough to take on bigger prey? Can marine life see blue light or is it red light? If so any ideas. thanks

Where did the rock come from?

A late night foray is in order regardless.

Other questions:

Any new additions?

How do your corals look?

When the fish are swimming, are they way up high or avoiding certain areas?

I brought the rock from fishy bussiness when I first started off.

No new fish in the last month, cleaning wrasse

No new additions besides SPS just yesterday and all my coral is growing and looking good. The fish seem to be avoiding the lower parts of the tank

I lost (by lost never found any sort of remains) two fish a cleaner wrasse and a dartfish in a week. Both fish were happy and healthly when I saw them last then one night gone. I have also found the remains of a hermit crab, one of my bigger ones, and a mexican turbo. My tank has been running for about 7 months. Will check my water parameters/ levels tomorrow. My remaining fish (clown, royal gama, and a 5" convict blenny) have moved to higher parts of the tank. My royal gama moved from his cave/home (he moved in about 2 months ago) near the bottom of the tank to the highest part and so has the cleaning shrimp. Also I think I hear a clicking noise but I could just be hearing things.

Action taken:

I have my tank covered with a black blanket and going to wait until later tonight to see if I find out whats going on.

Do I have a hitchhiker that has grown large enough to take on bigger prey? Can marine life see blue light or is it red light? If so any ideas. thanks

My experience both the dartfish and cleaner wrasse have very poor long term survival rates so I wouldn't normally worry to much about their disapearance but with the combined behavior you've described of the other inhabitants I would be thinking the same thing. It might just be a pistol shrimp which should be harmless but using a red light like Mindflux said to check out your tank seems to me would be prudent.

Edited by Timfish

My experience both the dartfish and cleaner wrasse have very poor long term survival rates so I wouldn't normally worry to much about their disapearance but with the combined behavior you've described of the other inhabitants I would be thinking the same thing. It might just be a pistol shrimp which should be harmless but using a red light like Mindflux said to check out your tank seems to me would be prudent.

I hope that they just died and my CUC did there thing. I checked out my tank last night at 1am and again at 6am and didnt see any thing. Im going to lay a few traps and see what I catch.

I feel your pain. I've had a few fish go mia with no trace. It drove me nuts. I wanted, no needed answers. I asked Bruce at Aquatech and he looked at me and said," It's salt water these things happen." So these things happen.

12 gauge shotgun is a sure thing, won't ever have to worry about that mantis again!biggrin.png If you can figure out which rock it's using for it's home base you might be lucky and just yank out that rock with it in it. You might try a trap (I've never had much luck with traps but I'll try it first). Worst case scenario you'll have to pull out all the rock looking in all the holes and hopefully find it in one. Twice I've found one in a hole and dumped about a tablespoon of salt in the hole to get it out so I could keep the rock. Good Luck Hunting!