What is my Teal CandyCane up to?

Mindflux

Is it attached to the rock? Candy canes grow and form a skeleton at the same time. Whats the temp in the tank. Have you seen any brown slime come out the mouths?

It is attached to the rock, temp gets up to 82 with the MH on for 5 hours (end of the day)... no brown slime. The mouths have little 1/2" long clear 'tentacles' that come out later in the evening to feed. It seems healthy other than this melting thing it's doing.

If it's just one lobe that's sagging it might be a polyp ball forming, I see this regularly in frogspawn. Frequently as candycanes grow the tissue between the polyps seperates and this might be happening. I would be worried something else is going on though. You definitely need to keep an eye out for any kind of necrosis (brown, black or white slime).

If it's just one lobe that's sagging it might be a polyp ball forming, I see this regularly in frogspawn. Frequently as candycanes grow the tissue between the polyps seperates and this might be happening. I would be worried something else is going on though. You definitely need to keep an eye out for any kind of necrosis (brown, black or white slime).

I've been watching it pretty closely. The only time I saw slime was the day I brought it home it had some white slime that drifted away in the current by the next day. I figured it was "cheesed off" and it was sliming and retracted. Now it's out and waggly and happy except this bizarre lobe that's drooping.

If it's open and waggly that's good. Can you tell if the skeleton on that polyp is separate from the rest? This would be the best indicator of a polyp ball.

I'll check tonight. Yes all of the polyps (even the saggy one) opens and extends it's feelers throughout the day/evening. It has good color, IMHO. It's just got this weird lobe that keeps stretching and tearing the skin. (which heals within a day usually, if not overnight)

I will note:

This is the piece of LR that I saw the bristle worm on the other evening. (I was observing the candy cane's feelers waggling around in the current) and saw the worm poke out. I've not seen it since the other evening.

i have seen you have adopted a sun coral! have you dipped or quarantined all new incoming corals before putting them in your tank? big way to keep you mind at ease. especially if you are planning to have reef with the least amount of problems over the years

i have seen you have adopted a sun coral! have you dipped or quarantined all new incoming corals before putting them in your tank? big way to keep you mind at ease. especially if you are planning to have reef with the least amount of problems over the years

Yep they all went through a TLF ReVive dip for 15 minutes each prior to going into my tank.

Think its history on that lobe, doesnt appear to be splitting. All of the lobes look kinda "drippy" to me though. My Cc look like big round puffy balloons and their fingers only come out for a short time and feed right after the lights turn off.

Think its history on that lobe, doesnt appear to be splitting. All of the lobes look kinda "drippy" to me though. My Cc look like big round puffy balloons and their fingers only come out for a short time and feed right after the lights turn off.

Well I'm not sure what I should do at this point? See where it goes or cut that lobe off?

All the lobes feel stony when I touch them, even the droopy one feels like the skeleton is there. After putting it back in the water the flesh has retracted and it looks very angry right now. That seems like a good response to what just happened...

Also rotated the coral a bit so the loose lobe isn't so flappy in the current.

Well the loose lobe might have to come off. I took it back out to see if the lobe was attached to anything, and I think it must have broken in transit when I bought it.. I wiggled the lobe a bit and it split into the lobe itself. I tried to superglue the skeleton back together and onto the base piece to stop any drooping.. but since the whole thing was wet I'm not sure the superglue took at all. (It amazes me superglue works at all in tanks considering everything is WET)...

poor coral!

I have a theory that when corals go through a major change in parameters (like moving to a new tank) they sometimes engage in what is essentially propagation of the species. Maybe that is what's going on. Some LPS drop babies like this, leathers do it too; propagation isn't always growing bigger in place, sometimes it's creating spores (or what have you) that can float away and establish a new colony in a new place. You see this all the time with kenya trees and xenia, for example, and I had a Kedd's Red zoa colony do it once too. My frogspawn doesn't drop babies but I've read of others that do. If the main colony looks okay and there's no slime or sign of flesh recession I would just leave it alone and let nature take its course.

Things are not looking good for this guy. It's shriveled looking and the tentacles haven't come out in 2 days or so now. I guess we'll see where this takes us.

Planning on a water change on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

Better. I actually cut out the droopy part which turned out to be skeleton that broke free from the main bunch. Since the skeleton was hanging under the skin it was causing the skin to stretch and tear. There's a big gaping hole where that lobe once was but overall it looks MUCH happier.

Hoping to see the flesh heal together with time. I do have a couple of lobes that are starting to stretch out and multiply. So I guess it's not too unhappy.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea what Im doing wrong... but my Candycane wont grow. :( Everything else in my tank is doing well, and growing. I have it on the sandbed of my 90g, running 2 10,000K T5's (6hrs) and 2 Actinics (3hrs). It is getting moderate flow and my params are good. Ive NEVER seen tentacles come out, but they do puff up nicely during the day. Any suggestions?