Advice on local fish stores?

starrm

Heya all,

I'm a reef-keeper residing in St. Louis and plan to be visiting in Austin for two weeks as of Wednesday, July 6. I'd really like to visit a couple of reef stores in the area while there. (Also plan to check out some real estate and am happy to see there's a reef club!) Could anyone suggest stores there of interest?

Thanks much,

Starr Mahoney

The three major ones are River City Aquatics (North), Aquatek (North), and Aquadome (South). All of them are good in my opinion. What are of town will you be in?

All are great stores. AquaDome has a more diverse selection of livestock that AquaTek and River City. River City has a great hardware selection in terms of tanks. AquaTek has a great selection of accessories and buffs. AquaTek also has some more "rare" selections than AquaDome. All in all though they are all great stores and their staffs are very helpful and knowledgable.

I'm biased towards River City, though I have visited all the others.. They are always friendly and knowledgeable.. The facility is clean as are the tanks.. The livestock is dated on the arrival date.. And I get 10% off livestock and hardware. I have my reasons for not going to the other places, but I'm not going to speak negative about them publicly.. if you want to know more you can PM me.

I've got to agree with everything Derek and Jake have said. I've bought from all of the stores. Aquadome has a very diverse selection and Aquatek has a lot of hardware and accessories and their staff is very courteous (although they are the priciest I've come across). But whenever I have the time to drive all the way across town from my home, I will always shop at River City Aquatics. Jake (the owner) is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in the hobby and he is extremely knowledgeable. Not to mention they have the cheapest prices in town. I always recommend them when someone asks.

The bulk of my purchases happen at " fishy business " off of Burnet road. I also frequent the others (aquadome, river city, and aquatek) but don't make very many purchases from them.

My wife got me a $50 gift card to Fishy Business recently. Looking forward to getting something from there once I get my tank back from the brink of chaos.

Thanks everyone for all the great info! I'm really looking forward to seeing hopefully most of the stores. I'm really curious how different they'll be from the stores here in St. Louis.

Cheers,

Starr

I get most everything from Fishy Business on Burnet. Cleanest shop in town.

poorest customer service... at least my experience.. He flat out said he wouldn't answer questions I had out of fear I would go somewhere else... Guess what!?! I did.. and I'll never go back.

poorest customer service... at least my experience.. He flat out said he wouldn't answer questions I had out of fear I would go somewhere else... Guess what!?! I did.. and I'll never go back.

Yeah he's not much of a salesman.

Starr,

You've received plenty of info but I'll add my $.02 anyways. :D

If you can arrange a half day to play, you can hit all of those mentioned. RCA, Tek, and FB are all on the, mostly, same side of town. Depending on where you are staying, you could start at one and work your ways towards the others. See the map James referred too.

Also, while here, be sure to check out some of the local cuisine vs hitting the chains. Chuy's, Trudy's, Torchy's, Guero's, Rubys BBQ, Hoover's, Kerbey Lane Cafe are all great places to eat that are easy to find and, aside from Hoovers/Gueros/Rubys, all over town.

So much for not speaking negatively in public. For me, it's been the total opposite. I get good honest advice from him. I'm not looking for a salesman when I go to a shop, I'm looking for something that I want in my tank, and feedback on how it will do, what it needs to live, etc. I'm not buying a used car.

Anywho, enjoy your stay in Austin and check out what you can.

Same here. Honest and somtimes blunt advice lol, and doesn't push to sell you anything. Let's you know exactly what you need.

So much for not speaking negatively in public. For me, it's been the total opposite. I get good honest advice from him. I'm not looking for a salesman when I go to a shop, I'm looking for something that I want in my tank, and feedback on how it will do, what it needs to live, etc. I'm not buying a used car.

Anywho, enjoy your stay in Austin and check out what you can.

I've always had great experiences with AquaDome, AquaTek, & RiverCity & always pleased with my purchases.

They have been very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to shop at any of them, or suggest them to a friend.

I've never been to Fishy Business, so can't say anything one way or another. I'd like to check them out though.

On the restaurant side. If your on the N. side, you may consider giving the Oasis a look. Great view of the lake, last couple times I've been, the food was great. Unique place in Austin.

If you move to Austin, you'll find that there is a thriving Saltwater community of great people. Plenty of experienced advice, and tons of corals/frags to buy or trade.

Fishy Business has by far the best quality corals for sale. Shane has always answered any questions I have had, and is very helpful. When I go in, I am usually there for quite a while, trying to determine which coral to get. While I am there, he has always shown his willingness to help others out. ???

River City Aquatics, Aquadome are great too. Aquatek has always been out of stock when I visit.