Busted T-5s - any ideas on how to fix?

Daisy82

I have a 4 bulb T5 fixture attached to my canopy hood. Only about a year old and it's been giving me problems for the last month - keeps switching on and off randomly, turns off when I lift the lid, will only turn on two of the bulbs sometimes, etc.

I have tried replacing the bulbs, unpluging the light and trying another power source and rotating the bulbs with no success.

Any suggestions on how I could fix it? Or know someone that could do it for a reasonable price? Can't find a lighting repair anywhere in the area. A LFS suggested replacing the ballasts.. I'm no electrician but wouldn't the lights not turn on at all if it was the ballasts?

Thanks for reading!

I would suspect the ballast, but since you mentioned that it turns on or off due to movement, I would guess there a wiring issue. What brand is it?

Bad ballasts can cause a number of problems which may not be just not lighting up. They can cause flickering, turning off if they overheat, intermitant loss of bulbs. The only thing that makes me think it's not the ballast is that it is turning off due to motion. Did you screw the light to the canopy? Could be a shorted wire due to that if that's the case.

make sure the bulbs are sitting correctly in place with a solid connection, check wiring, if that doesnt work then its prob the ballast. i have a ballast that i might be able to lend you to see if its just the ballast.

i just installed 4 xt5's into my canopy and had issues with only some bulbs lighting up i did figure out that it was just the bulbs needed to be seated correctly..

If the screws aren't in the hanging mount holes it's possible that one of the screws is shorting something.

Definitely check the wiring and the sockets first. Tek's are about as solid as they come so the ballast should be the last thing that breaks.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 to ballast problems - especially if there is some sort of audible noise or slight flicker when some bulbs don't light properly. If it is the ballast, the solution is to replace it. Not really easy or too safe to go messing with it on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought it used but supposedly it was only used for about 6 months by the previous owner. I do get some salt creep and alot of moisture under the canopy though - the bulbs are sometimes damp. Guess it's condensation because nothing is splashing. No fans in the unit so I had some computer fans retrofitted into the back of the canopy, but they only lasted about four months before corroding.

I'd say it needs a makeover then. New ends, new wiring, new ballast, and lights.

I'm wanting a broken fixture for the reflectors. I'd be willing to take that off your hands very reasonably if you don't want to repare it.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk