lighting suggestions

wa1tx

I am building a 125g 72"x18"x22" mixed reef. I am at the point where I need to purchase lights. I do not want to be limited by lights on what I put in the tank, but at the same time I do not want to go with MH and have to get a chiller. I was looking at getting 4 of the lights below with two led stunners for moonlight. I believe that would put me at 432 watts(8x54). Is this enough light to support all corals? Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations? I am not opposed to LEDS just not sure I can afford them from the prices I have seen on the net.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/54w-48-t5-retrofit-kit-tek-sunlight-supply.html

Thanks in advance

WA

I think those would work fine. I would consider looking at the ice cap DIY kits because the workhorse ballasts (the BRS lkit uses these) are mediocre at best. I think that a 6 bulb kit would probably be sufficient, but 8 bulbs may allow you to keep SPS very low, if that is your goal.

One of the biggest things with T5s is the keep them cool. The light output goes down as the bulbs get hot. Some of the high end T5 units have a fan for each bulb. This unit provides a good example and is considered one of the best. http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/Powermodule_Fixtures/60_inch__6x80W_Powermodule_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_by_ATI

Rule of thumb 2 watts per gallon for a mixed reef. and i wouldn't go t5 id go vho for that large a tank. if you plan on keeping sps then id go 4 watts per gallon. MHs or canon leds (still not sold on leds though) will almost surely be needed. to get good color and growth. i runh 250watts over my 34g and still don't get the growth i want the color is there but still kinda slow on the growth. but that could be many other things as well. in my 90g mix reef i ran 2 250w MH and 6 t5s and it was just enough lighting.

My 90g didnt need a chiller. i had a full canopy on it too. i used fans to blow across the top of the water and in one in the sump. kept my house at 75 degrees. and had no problems. the fans kicked on when the lights did. i even kept my ballasts in the canopy.

I would just put two 250 watt halides. Ive never run a chiller with any of my tanks. You could even alternate them on in 6 hour intervals so in reality you only have one light on but then when it goes out the other kicks on giving you 12 hour light cycle. Definately wouldnt need a chiller then.

MH doesn't necessitate running a chiller. I started off with t5s over both of my tanks and I don't think you'll be happy with them.

I have a clone of the Odyssea fixture you linked to. Mine is th 48" version that has (2)250w mh in it which should be fine for your 125g tank (mine is a 90). If you want a 72" fixture that should be graet. The hanging kit at the bottom of that link is great, it let's you move the lights close or farther away from the tank to control the light, acclimate corals, or adjust when you get new bulbs. I did add a small fan to the end of my tank and I don't have any heat issues.

Oh, BTW, Icecap has gone out of business. I've had their ballats and did some DIY work for my old canopy with them. I liked the ballast and product but would be a bit worried about buying them now since Icecap isn't around for warranty or servicing them.