LED Question

Jbrougher

If your a DIY kinda guy then look into building an LED fixture for it like I'm doing. I purchased kits from Rapid LED. They have different sized heatsinks to choose from so you can configure the light to your needs.

FYI, that has been 'coming soon' for quite some time now. 36W of LED over your tank (since it say's it's half a sol) would be enough to meet your requirements, but the SPS and higher light corals would probably have to be under the fixture and closer to the top.

It's true, but the solana is fairly deep too... so long as the optics aren't too tight you could probably get away with a sol, just don't expect LPS in the top half of the tank. Though, if you've got it set up to be dimmable it could be just fine.

In my experience many low-light corals actually can tolerate a good amount of light if they're acclimated to it or just out of the intense areas. I've had a 150W MH and now 63W of LED over my 24G tank which contains mushrooms, a maze brain, and some lower light zoas and things... but keeping them on or near the sandbed, or just out of the center of the tank or partially shaded by rockwork keeps them happy enough.

Based on our par readings of one AI Sol fixture over a 24" deep tank, I'd say that a single SOL fixture would be outstanding for a mixed tank with mostly LPS. I bought a Derasa clam and have it down in the lower end of Fat Jack so we'll see how it does.

One AI fixture over a 24x24x24 tank is 1/2 of their recommendation for a tank that size. Hoping to get a second fixture. The control by Apex feature is truly clutch and I like watching it dim off in the evenings.

:)

Nice. Do ya'll have the full Apex? Well, guess so, since the other's not out yet...

I can't wait to get this all set and running, but am making myself wait, so I can plan it all out right.

But the apex is definitely worth it? Or wait for jr to come about?

Correct and as much as I like the AI unit, I hate their controller. It is one knob and a lot of clicking to set up the light schedule. The Apex interface is pretty clutch. It has a very friendly GUI that has fields for ramp time and dimming time for the lights. Supposedly, the latest Apex Beta software also has control for the Royal Blue leds on the unit. Right now, you only control BLUE and WHITE.

I am playing with the idea of upgrading my software to try it out. Scary though to upgrade software from my point of view.

Well, I'm ordering the lights and controllers now, looking for the best deal online.

Then, tonight, I'm picking up the solana.

Hypothetically, could I hook up a small grade water pump from a storage unit to my tank, and after hooking it up to the apex, use it as a auto top off?

Since you don't have experience with advanced progamming of an Apex, I'd order your Apex and Sol from Callahan. He will be willing to supply the after sales service to help you avoid setup headaches. It'll be worth the 10% or so more in cost you might save by price shopping. He is an APEX rep and quite knowledeable. I think he also reps the SOL fixtures. PM him.