Need to move clam

dapettit

I was given a clam for "Father's Day". We put on a rock at the highest point in the tank sink I am using PC lighting. I recently aquired a MH 150w pendant with a 14k bulb. Now the clam is closing up. I think it is getting to much light. The problem is the foot has attached to the rock.

Any suggestions on how to move the clam?

Thanks in advance for your help. . .

You can also cover the tank with plastic window screen(several layers) to cut down on some of the light. Each week you take one layer off. By the time there is no screen your animals should have adjusted to the new light. Also if the clam is really unhappy it will move on its own.

Tank dimensions:

30L X 12.5W X 21T"

The light is 5 to 6 inches above th top of the tank.

The clam is about 10" from the lights ource. The clam is slighly open at the top and closed at the bottom end.

We juseput the gutted hood back on (no top since light is suspended above the tank) which has a crossbar on it. Now there is a shadow on it and it is starting to open up. I really need to find some one who will build a hood for us at a reasonable cost.

Headless - I thought it would move but its on a bridge and not sure where it would move to.

The warm water is the wrong way to move the clam''s foot. You need take some of your tank water and put it in a cup and place it in the fridge. Then use a turkey baster and spray the cold water slowly at the foot and it will release itself.

-Joseph

Thanks for all the info fellow reefers.

I think I will attempt the cold water first, I'm a little shakey with a knife (too much caffeine).

Joseph - how long should I leave the water in the frig? A couple of hours? Also, thanks for the MH light it ROCKS! cool.gif

I successfully removed my clam from its perch. I used the cold water and cutting method.

Ran out of cold water so had to cut some threads. Moved it to a smaller rock in the bottom of the tank and it opened up. Life is good! ;)

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.