AndrewT's Blog

AndrewT

I had more pics of the build but my brother deleted them so here are a few of the final product. I plan to add a fuge within the next few days and buy a new skimmer soon. I must say im pretty proud of the turn out. I did all the plumbing myself as well as the painting. Ive been using a product called stability in the tank every day and it seems as if my tank will be done cycling soon. After a little more than a week all my levels have been at 0 for the last few days. So hopefully ill be able to cut back on the wait time.check out the awesome door pulls i added to the cabinet. I plan to wire two retros in the canopy next weekend. There are a few more pictures in the coment section.enjoy

post-641-13019292229422_thumb.jpg

post-641-13019292230261_thumb.jpg

post-641-13019292230957_thumb.jpg

ive got about 100 lbs in 55 that im going to move to the 90 after a while. Im debating whether to build a little cave like i had in my 55 or make a rock wall along the back of the tank.

Very nice! Can't wait to see it with the final rock in place. One suggestion, I know you mentioned adding more rock, but the current rock cave on the left is might close to the edge of the glass. That is going to be hard to clean.

Thanks thanks... I threw some of the hardier corals in today. Only problem is now i think i may need a chiller. I ran both my lights today and my temp shot to 82. Im going to drill two more holes and run two more five in. fans in there to try and avoid a chiller at all cost. for now ill just run one light which is more than enough for the tank. Im going to take your advice and move the cave tomorrow thanks.

Hi, Your tank looks beautiful. I'm having a hard time figuring out your top picture? Is there a hood that is up? Can you explain your lighting. It's been awhile since I looked at or bought any lighting, and I need new lighting. Mine is a million years old. Do you have any suggestions on brands and what it costs nowadays. I was wondering if things were cheaper on ebay or somewhere. I like a setup at Aquatek but they tend to be a little pricey.

thanks... Its a canopy that has a removable lid. The lights are two retro halide lights 400w ea. Try looking through for sale forums here. Everthing on the new tank was purchased from arc members.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well after a week of vsv im glad to report good findings. Ive noticed a bit of color boost. Nothing incredible but i had a few pieces that were brown that are now light brown. A piece of orange digi thats gotten brighter and some tort that was brown you can now see shades of blue.A favia that was in the proces of splitting 2 new heads which are now completely split. Nitrates 0 phos 0. Had a small bacterial bloom and i just layed off dosing for a day. I also got some k3s last week the increased flow has cut my evaporation back as well as helped keep the water at a more stable temp. Im hoping that with the new lights more flow and vsv that ill have some nice results around the middle of june. Till next week... also im not recommending or suggesting anyone try this without extensive research first.

• 2 weeks later...

After 3 weeks more good news! while i havent seen much change in my sps my lps is going crazy! I have 7 new heads in 2 weeks on my aog zoas. My bloodshot favia has 2 more new heads in adition to the 2 from the previous post. my kryptonite candy can went from from 8 heads to 11+. My sps seems a little brighter but no real growth.im getting a lot of polyp exstension. nitrates zero phosphates zero still. my new sump was just set up hoping to get some cheato soon. I wasnt previously running a fuge so i hope some macro will help pull more junk out of the water. ill post pics tomorrow.

• 1 month later...