Lurker's Blog

Lurker

I've decided to keep everyone up to speed on my small reef tank keeping...big thanks to Captian Bob for pointing me in the right directions!

So here is my 8g Bio Cube Reef

med_gallery_319_15_729650.jpg

med_gallery_319_15_1403769.jpg

med_gallery_319_15_794400.jpg

I am currently removing the clown, using a fish trap tomorrow to get it out and move it to the 10g ;-)

And for those Lion Fish lovers...

Black Volitan Lionfish, (he is currently in a quartine tank...)

med_gallery_319_15_624987.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well alot has happened since the last time i posted a blog, the 90g corner bowfront was sold leaving me with just the 8g boicube. Well my roommate picked up a 29g cube so my coral were moved to that tank.

Last night I picked up a 55g complete setup for $300 on craigslist, this tank has 2 skimmers, sump, stand, orbit light (4 65w pc's), hob overflow, powerheads, rock, sand...well you get the point. Apparently he had some nice coral till his tank temp got to 35 (non insulated house) and killed most of everything in the tank. When i picked the tank up it had a bad problem w/ hair algae however i only spotted 2 snails and 1 hermit crab. So today i got 30 hermits, 20 snails, and 2 sea hares (1 will leave once the algea is under control). Also included are 2 clownfish and a yellow tank. The clownfish are rather big and are hosting a small anemome...but look very healthy and happy at the moment.

gallery_319_44_1811378.jpg

about a hour after i turned the lights of in the 55g i noticed the yellow tang had a white stripe and a coupe brown spots (the last yellow tang didn't do this) so I did what I do best. I hoped on the computer and found out it is common for them to do this when they are sleeping or stressed. So this morning i turned on the light and almost instantly he was back to bright yellow :-). The sea hares in the tank have done a very good job on eating the algae, what they leave behind the turbo's are picking up.

So today I plan on doing some maintance to the 29g reef tank in my roommates room, I am hoping to frag the hammer coral (branching) today and getting a 10% water change, we are battling a heat issue in that tank at the moment. Couple nights ago the tank when from 81 (lights off) down to 71, we have a temp fix on the hood, we lifted it up 1/2 inch and it seems to make a huge differnce. There used to be a very very small snow flake eel in that tank but as he attacked and killed off the flame scallop and a hermit he was moved to the 8g. I will oon have him posted on this forum as someone here might want a tiny baby eel.

pics of the hammer

SNV30219.jpg

and the baby eel

SNV30199.jpg