Patience In This Hobby

Bry

Your Greatest Test of Patience  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I've been through tank cycling. It was scary my first time but I read up and enjoyed the challenge of watching it, keeping it "under control" and knowing all that was happening. I've also added livestock to my tank and have waited, while doing what I needed to, to see how they will turn out. Most made it, some didn't. And then I've ordered equipment online for my aquarium and have waited for that to come in.

I've got to say that personally, the equipment in shipping has been my biggest challenge. Especially when something causes it to be a day later than it should. Let's not even get into it arriving broken/defective.

I was just wondering what others felt. Was I the only one that can easily be so patient in so many other areas of this hobby but waiting for equipment to come UPS, FedEx, or USPS causes me to pull my hair out? (see my avatar) I mean it doesn't even usually take that long to get a delivery. Sheesh! I've only ordered a reactor this week, I can't even imagine how I'll be the week I order that Apex controller.

I thought I'd have fun with the poll system and see what others who happened upon this post felt. Wish there was a way to let anyone add their biggest challenge with patience into the poll. Just reply with your thoughts I guess.

OK, to be fair (and talk on a subject often ignored) I'm in a place where I have more $ than time.

For years I've spent years borderline on having enough money to be as involved in the hobby as I've been. I've breed cichilids literally for the money to keep feeding them which has led me to always (let me restate always) plan ahead on hardware purchases. If you're at a place where your livesock is in danger waiting on the UPS guy you've done something wrong.

Sorry to be the guy to say this but it's true.

that being said this hobby (across basic freshwater, my first saltwater, cichlid, planted, south american biotype, reef ect) has taught me patience.

Research

Plan ahead

Research more

act

Have patience

If you're at a place where your livesock is in danger waiting on the UPS guy you've done something wrong.

I agree. I'm excited about new 'toys' coming in that I enjoy planning for and installing, then doing the continual tests to see the outcome on my tank. Never have I waited too long to order an item.

I have more time than money. I have been addicted to marine aquariums and reefs for more than 30 years. As my interest in "less technology and more biology" time and my patience have grown. Now that I have retired, my money income has drooked from $200K to $14K (retirement income). The last year has been shock thearapy between need and want. I now have the time and I feel like I won on that exchange. Time and tide wait for no man. I have learned to work with nature, "slow down and smell the roses". In speaking with advanced hobiest from Europe, it became evident to me that we American hobbiest were an impatient lot. The European Reefers wait a year befor adding livestock, including no corals. There focus is the micro fauna and fana to be established as the botton of the food chain. Daniel Knopp in a presentation at MACNA spent hours on his belley capturing pictues in his refugium. It is a big world in there. The perfection of the miro system working within the macro system of our reef tanks is so complex that normally we discount it and are not aware of it. Patience is indeed a virtue. We are not born with it, it must be developed. My engineer brother in law (LSU) tells me that there are two ways to wait: patiently or impatiently. One way agitatesw the soul, the other ways naturesz peace of mind. I choose patience.

Sorry to play with that. I thought of it as relavant.

Patrick

Definitely waiting on a coral. Using live rock and live sand I don't see any cycling as far as ammonia. Waiting on a fish to eat if it's more than a few days odds are heavily against it. Waiting on a shipment is never more than a week. Waiting for a coral to do something can be months.