Dendronepht

subsea

I took the plunge and purchased this beautiful coral three weeks ago. It immediately deflated to 20%

of its shipping size. Three days ago it started to recover. I have never tried this difficult coral before and am hoping that my system produces enough food to its liking.

Never heard of that, so I googled it.... WOW! Nice. Would love to see a pic. Good Luck. :hmm:

I took the plunge and purchased this beautiful coral three weeks ago. It immediately deflated to 20%

of its shipping size. Three days ago it started to recover. I have never tried this difficult coral before and am hoping that my system produces enough food to its liking.

Yes, I am target fedding. However, my refugium produces phyto and zooplankton. Not that the Carnation needs zooplankton but my other corals like it. I also stir the bottom in my display tank and everybody feeds.

Sorry no pictures as I am technilogically challenged. Come to the April Meeting at my home and enjoy some Cajun hospitality. I am sure we can send pictures at that time. I also have Black Mollies breeding in my marine growout tanks outside. I use them as a nutriant source but the are also excellant herbivores to clean up nuisance microaalgae.

Patrick

However, my refugium produces phyto and zooplankton.

Can you expound on this statement?

Rob,

Yes I can expound. The refugium is a safe zone, free of predatation. While macro alone in a refugium can remove nitrates and phosphates, at best it can produce copepods to feed the tank. The copepods would be one form of zooplankton. With a mud filter the substrate opens up the world of micro fauna and fana. Bacteria, many types of worms and tunicates find a home and become nutriant pathways, absorbing nutriants as they grow and multiply. This category of detrivores are the real heros in captive reef keeping. In this mud filter many miracles of life take place and is the beginning of the food chain. I like photo plankton cultures, but I have found my refugiums do not need it.

Patrick

Ty,

I am selling nothing at this time. I only give knowledge if people are receptive. In the future, when I can produce in a sustainable manner, I will sell decorative seaweed and ediable seaweed. When I am ready to do this, I will buy a sponser subscription. Until then, come and see what I have going on, at the April Meeting of ARC.

Patrick

Wow, I don't even know what you are selling Patrick but I want some of it! :) Seriously though, I need to get some marsh mud in my refugium. Good explanation of it.

-Ty

Don't go too thick with it. If you do it can cause your sump to stink and increase nitrates.

Not to thread jack, well, ok, maybe a little...

how deep is the mud and fuge in general?

I am confused about this thread jacking business. In my opinion any and all comments are relavant.

With respect to the depth of the mud: less than 1". Mud is a fine media and supports many types of micro inverts. It is not likely to perform denitrification. Thus the reason for a vegetable filter to uptake nitrogen, phosphate and other heavy metals if present. This is not nutriant export, unless you prune and remove the macros. If you feed it to the tanks fish it is nutriant cycling. The more nutriant pathways the more stable the system.

Patrick

I am very interested to hear the long term sustainability you have with this coral as most people I know who have kept them had NPS only tanks with constant automated feeding.

In the past, the longest I could keep flame scallops was two years. We will see.

• 2 weeks later...

My 4 bulb T5 fixture has an intermittant electrical fault. Out of 8 bulbs, 6 are actinic. The greens come alive wih bioluminous. Now I have 2 actinic and 2 10K bulbs. Hope I get it resolved before the meeting on Saturday.

With increased temperatures outside my system has risen to 85 degrees, I do not thinbk that the Carnation likes the higher temperature range. I am working on more evaporative cooling.