The Great Mr. Saltwater Tank LED Experiment

mcallahan

following. Montipora would be good because I know people say they bleach under leds. But why not try one of each type of coral. This info might help other reefers with leds on coral stocking.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . How many watts does it use? What is it supposed to be comprable to...250 watt? . . .

For those of you who haven't looked it up yet the AI Sol is a 72 watt fixture and at 2 foot depth it has a central cone about 1 foot dia. at 400 + PAR. It's not clear if that depth is with the fixture 12" above the water and an additional 24" of water or if it's just taken 24" from the face of the fixture. I'm impressed with the amount of light it's putting out since many corals reach the saturation point of their zooanthellea well below that intensity. I'm looking forward to seeing the PAR readings MikeM and Mcallahan take to see a "real life" example.

. . . I just get concerned when I see things like this because people may see the end results and jump to conclusions that aren't justified when something is only a correlation and not a causation.

I second this concern and would add drawing a conclusion from coincidences.

I am glad to see someone doing this but after rereading this thread and watching Mcallahan's video again can't help but think the dichotomy between the two just adds confusion. On one hand "it's not in any way a "proper" study" but on the other it's cutting through all the foo "and getting to the facts" and "look at the science".

I do agree with you Mike M. when you say " I truly believe that we are going to see that both systems work". Considering the range of conditions corals grow under and their adaptability this seems to me a given (besides the people who are growing corals under LEDs). When DoMa told me about his experiment he was going to do with 150W 5000K I.C.E. florescents I didn't doubt it would work (although it did work better than I thought check his tank in the photography section). I am quite certain that using a PAR meter to match a coral up with the lighting conditions it was grown under will give a pretty good survival rate. I am also very anxious to see how some of the colors may change and growth rates may differ with the different spectral outputs even with matching PAR. Once again Mike M. and Callahan I am looking forward to seeing the results of your experiment.

You must be forgetting about my 2x250's I have over my 90g...!! wave.gif

My thought will be to measure PAR ratings and place some SPS frags in similar PAR areas to the MH. That way we can try to level the playing field as much as possible.

I thought that you had 2x400MH? When was the switch or was i just mistaken? Interesting to see what happens, i had some donor frags if needed. Was contemplating switching to 250w MH to save energy and heat. Just dont know.

I thought that you had 2x400MH? When was the switch or was i just mistaken? Interesting to see what happens, i had some donor frags if needed. Was contemplating switching to 250w MH to save energy and heat. Just dont know.

Always been 2x250's. By the end of the year, it'll be LEDs tho.

let me know how this works, cuz im thinking about switching to LED's when i move to houston, thinking about downgrading to a salona or a cadlights 22 or 39 and going with the AI sol or nano sol.

• 3 weeks later...