Easier water changes?

KarenM

I have a 40 gal tank, which means my water changes are about 10 gallons. I can only lift about a 3 gal jug, so I've been mixing up 3 gallons at a time in small buckets and letting them sit overnight. Their taking up too much room, and the salt isn't getting dissolved. I'd like to mix all 10 gal up at once, maybe in a trash can, but I don't know how to get the water from the trash can into the tank.

How does everyone else do their water changes?

I went to the pet store and bought a really cheap ($15) powerhead that I could hook a hose onto. It pumps the old water out and then I flip it around and pump the new water in.

BTW: Isn't a normal water change around 10% (4gal)? I only change 10 gallons in my 58gal.

Edited by dap42

i use a big rubbermaid tub to mix up the water. put the water in the tub. pour the salt in the water. drop in a power head and let it run overnight to mix up the salt. use a siphon to get water out. use power head and a hose to get new water back in.

I have a 30g tank and do 3 gallons every two weeks. I have been doing that for about 6 months and it works great. I am lazy and just buy my Salt and Fresh straight from the nearest LFS. This way I don't have to mix, wait for perculation and then pour. Just me.

The easiest way to do it in my experience is to get yourself a couple of 32 gallon BRUTE trashcans from LOWES and a set of the BRUTE roller-wheels that attach to the bottoms. [The BRUTE trashcans are great because they are heavy duty, food safe LDPE 4 plastic (which is stretchy and almost impossible to shatter or tear) and you can fill them up with water with no ill effects.] I put my RO water in it, mix the salt, drop in a heater, and let it settle in the trashcan for 24 hours. The next day I just wheel it over the the tank, drain the water out into the empty can via a siphon and then pump the fresh water in with a mag 2 pump. I can do a 30 gallon water change in around 15 minutes this way on my tank. (It also helps to mark the inside of the trashcans with a sharpie in 5 gallon increments.)

Here is what we do(until the stupid trash can sprung a leak):

Fill the can to the union(20 gallons) or bottom of PVC spout(10 gallons) with ro/di water

James013.jpg

Add salt, Open red valve close hose valve, turn on pump(MAG 5), add heater if needed

James012.jpg

Wait 24 hrs, Siphone out proper amount of water out of tank, wheel can to tank, attach garden hose to hose valve, turn on pump, open hose valve, close red valve, fill tank

James011.jpg

Done!

BTW depending on what is in the tank 10 gallons isn't too much. We change 10 gallons a week on our 30 gallon seahorse tank.

Here is what we do(until the stupid trash can sprung a leak):

Wow .. now that is a cool setup! You could always do something similar with a barrel and put the barrel on a dolly. I would built something like this if I had to change more than 5 gallons at a time :(