Lots of death :(

Eric Alvarado

Well, after 3 happy months of fish keeping, thought I would relay my little saga of the downside to fish tending.

Our 125 had the following fish last week.

1 Nubius Tang

1 Chocolate Tang

1 Coral Beauty

1 Randal's watchman and pistol shrimp

2 firefish

1 lawnmower blenny

2 clowns

Today, I have 2 firefish and 1 lawnmower and 1 coral beauty,(and the randalls and pistol). I was keeping up with 10% weekly water changes, alk 2.9, ph 8.2, sal 1.026,nitrates around 10, no nitrites or ammonia. Corals doing fine, flogspawn, torch,hammer, millipora, pavona, zoas, montipora, etc. Mostly new small frags.

Last Friday, I wake up to find both my tangs hiding. They wouldn't come out of the rock. Odd I thought, but hoped for the best and went about my business and off to the office. Came home that evening, and sure enough, they were still hiding. We could see them behind the rock, they looked healthy –didn't see anything on them, they were just hiding.

Saturday morning, 1 dead tang, 1 missing tang. We tested the water parameters again, and now we paid special attention to the tank. After chatting with Shane down at fishy business, he suggested that we keep a hard eye on the coral beauty. Water parameters looked good, fish were hiding, corals healthy are all signs of aggression by another fish – and that coral beauty was the likely suspect.

So, we watch, and sure enough, that coral beauty was eyeing, slipping under our 4" clown. We knew we needed to get him out. So out come thenets, traps, mirrors, and every other suggestion we read online.

Darn, that fish knew what we were about and just wouldn't take to any of the strategies. The tank has a back rock wall, so we did not want to break it down and drain it to get this darn fish out.

So 1 week of anguishing over how to get this fish out. Friday night again (do fish work in days of the week?), we woke to 2 more dead fish. Both the clowns dead. The large one twitching, the small one on the bottom covered in narsarius.

No fish show any signs of sickness, they were fine the night before, so definitely believe this is a bad case of aggression. Although, I have not seen the lawnmower this morning, and am concerned he may also be a victim.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this situation,or how I could have handled differently?

Thanks

Take your time trying to catch it. You need a large trap, the biggest one you can get, and leave it for days before trying to catch it. Only feed inside the trap, it will float out so the fish can get it. This might be enough to get him in the trap eventually. You've got to quite chasing with the nets, you are only making it more skittish. Go back to business as usual this way the fish can calm down and will be more inclined to take risks like going in the trap. What kind of fish trap do you have? OR you could spear it, should make you feel a little better.

In the last couple of weeks I have caught a blue face angel, femal anthias, male anthias, sailfin tang, scopas tang, and a yellow tang using this method....it works.

Take your time trying to catch it. You need a large trap, the biggest one you can get, and leave it for days before trying to catch it. Only feed inside the trap, it will float out so the fish can get it. This might be enough to get him in the trap eventually. You've got to quite chasing with the nets, you are only making it more skittish. Go back to business as usual this way the fish can calm down and will be more inclined to take risks like going in the trap. What kind of fish trap do you have? OR you could spear it, should make you feel a little better.

In the last couple of weeks I have caught a blue face angel, femal anthias, male anthias, sailfin tang, scopas tang, and a yellow tang using this method....it works.

Yes, I understand and appreciate the feedback, but that stategy means all the other fish he doesn't like die (which might be now, as everything else that isn't tiny and can hide is dead). Right now, my lawnmower has not come out, so he is clearly stressed. As mentioned, I have been trying traps. Losing more fish is unacceptable, thus, waiting weeks won't work. This guy is dead meat one way or another today. I never mentioned hanging out with nets (which has not been my strategy). I am considering hanging out with a spear though. :angry:

He won't go anywhere near the traps. Maybe would get him in time, but as mentioned, I need him out now before he kills more fish.

As far as traps, been trying a couple homemade ones off the net. Where can I pickup a good trap? I will want it for later for sure.

Gah, so angry right now.

Thanks

Other option is prepare to do a large water change, drop the water level in the tank by 50%. You'll drastically cut away any escape routes and will be able to corner him much easier.

Yes, I suspect that is all I have left. In order for that to work, I will have to remove all the rock. The aquascape was made with tons of "sleeping" room, which has translated into tons of hiding room. *sigh*, I really didn't want to stir everything up like that.

I am with Hydro, take your time and starve them for a couple of days.

I am able to catch chromis,butterfly fish,hawkfish (eating my shrimps)

and other small fish out of our 60gal full reef from a homemade fish trap

using mysis shrimp cubes.

This might be kind of cruel, but I have also use real small fish hook w/ a piece

of shrimp :angry:

good luck.

Sorry to hear about that - I'd be losing my mind. Here's what Mark did:

Click here

haha, I hadn't seen that one. Mark cracks me up again. We'll, since there is barely anything left to kill. I went out and bought a trap and had the exact same plan. Wish me luck. Wish I had been able to do this BEFORE he killed the clowns, but late to worry about that now.

Thanks, was worth the chuckle. Now to the waiting game. :angry:

I've used #22 fishhooks before if your in a hurry.

http://www.4seasonsf...y-Fly-Hook.html

I might go to the bat and tackle shop down the street to see if they have some. I have some small hooks, but really too big for this coral beauty. Dropped $50 on a trap, but really don't care if I use it or not. It is so depressing every time I look at this now empty tank. Gah that fish has me mad. Keep looking over at that tank expecting to see my favorite fish... grrrr.....

I have a coral beauty that tends to be a bit aggressive. I just made sure that all my new additions were bigger than him.

He killed all the fish that were 50% bigger than him.... the smaller ones survived (except a small clown). This is one bad hombre. Anyone want him? Come get him out of the tank and he's yours! :(

I have a coral beauty that tends to be a bit aggressive. I just made sure that all my new additions were bigger than him.

He killed all the fish that were 50% bigger than him.... the smaller ones survived (except a small clown). This is one bad hombre. Anyone want him? Come get him out of the tank and he's yours! :(

what side of town r u on???

He killed all the fish that were 50% bigger than him.... the smaller ones survived (except a small clown). This is one bad hombre. Anyone want him? Come get him out of the tank and he's yours! :D

I've got a 5" female Tomato Clown I've got the same problem with :(.

I live in North Austin near Duval/Mopac. Send me a PM if you think you have the skills to catch this bad boy. :D I don't want to break down the tank or move the rock and stir it up.

He killed all the fish that were 50% bigger than him.... the smaller ones survived (except a small clown). This is one bad hombre. Anyone want him? Come get him out of the tank and he's yours! :D

I've got a 5" female Tomato Clown I've got the same problem with :(.

The Precula I had was pretty forgiving as long as fish were away from his anenome, all bets off when the other fish got near his zone though. I thought my 4.5" clown could hold his own against the coral beauty, called that shot wrong.

I live in North Austin near Duval/Mopac. Send me a PM if you think you have the skills to catch this bad boy. :D I don't want to break down the tank or move the rock and stir it up.

For that matter, you can have him if I get him out. I just want him out - I don't care what happens to him after that.

Wow, that is pretty crazy. I did not think that a coral beauty would be that aggressive. Then again, I have seen mine go after my 7 or 8 inch orange shoulder tang. I have seen my coral beauty get his butt kicked though when he bit off more than he could chew.

Wow, that is pretty crazy. I did not think that a coral beauty would be that aggressive. Then again, I have seen mine go after my 7 or 8 inch orange shoulder tang. I have seen my coral beauty get his butt kicked though when he bit off more than he could chew.

Yeah, I've been surprised a few times how much "fight" can be packed into a 2 or 3 inch fish.