My sons new toy!

I guess that i wil start from the beginning, about a month ago i bought a late 50's earlie 60's Murray Fire Chief push pedal car. To say the least it was VERY rough. 1st came the dis-assembly, 2nd came the sandblasting, 3rd came primer. Then i straightened out the metal and welded the area needed that were cracked due to wear and tear. Body work was in order next. After that was the 1st coats of primer surfacer to level all the bodywork out. Then the teadious task of blocking it the 1st time, WOW. The second and final coats of primer before paint were then added. Back to blocking it again for paint. The rest was the tipical paint procedures of applying sealer,basecoats, and clear. FINALLY reassembly, and for this i relyed on EBAY and SPEEDWAY Motors for all the original MURRAY parts i could find. I still have to add the string that rings the bell, but thats easy. After a month or so here it is:

The last picture is what it looked like when i got it but was in alot worse shape than this one.

Thank you to all who enjoy Fatherhood as i do, I brought it home yesterday after work and my son was all smiles EAR to EAR!!!

post-395-0-00799400-1299636323_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-43715900-1299636326_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-90361300-1299636328_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-72908900-1299636469_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-38532800-1299637161_thumb.jpg

I have an email to SPEEWAY asking them if they sell the decal, i have looked on there site but cant find one that matches. If they have it i will be buying it to make it complete.

@FISHYPETS-not that much but its over the $600 mark. They sell NEW ones for around $275 but then its not an old one, i wanted to take an old toy and fix it then give it to him as part of history. If that makes sense. You just dont see kids anymore playing like they used to. Maybe this will start a trend and get kids outta the house and off the game console. JK

That's awesome! Sure, you could have gotten a new one, but there's something to be said about preserving something to be passed down through the generations, and when your son is old enough to understand the difference, he'll appreciate that you *made* it for him rather than just whipping out the plastic to buy it for him.

And you're right on about getting kids outside and off of the game console.. so many kids now will never understand the joy of playing around outside, or riding bikes with friends, or just standing in the front yard and spinning in circles until they collapse. Sounds to me like you're on the right track.

Incredible!!! Really nice work -- I am always impressed with nice restorations!! Check this site for the decals (it's my job to find things).

And this -

...or just standing in the front yard and spinning in circles until they collapse.
I remember doing that!!! Now I do it in my chair at the office, a lot.

Jermey you tha man....nice work and you recycled :lol: . Cool idea too, he will give that to his kid, then his kid..... Have you made the decision yet that its ok if he scratches it? Is this going to sit on the shelf or is that bad boy going to see some action? In case anyone didn't know Jermey is a body technician at Burlis paint and body, it takes some skills to restore something to that condition. Did you spray it yourself?

Burlis giving you a lifetime warranty on that paint? :hmm:

i didnt spray the base and clear, but was in the booth during the process, its been 6yrs since ive painted and didnt wanna mess it up. I put probably 20-30hrs of body work and prep work into it and realy wanted it to turn out nice. WARRANTY...no, but it did cost a pretty penny. And the answer to the other question "is he gonna ride it" YES, i will be a little heart broken at the sight of the 1st scratch but its a toy that i gave to him so that he could enjoy a REAL toy from the day. I want nothing more than him to play and have fun and my wife and I be able to take pictures of him doing it. Thank you all for looking.

Jermey, you are one awesome man. Your son is going to be proud to call you "Daddy". My Dad always did little and big things for all of us (nine of us) and how I miss him so much.

Where did you find the decal at? Was it the site Elizzy sent you? Great job.

i sent a pic to Speedway Motors and they found it with there vendor, they had to print it and it took a week more to get but i wasnt in a hurry so no biggie, Thank you for the compliment, im tying to be the best father i can, this is my 1st go around so....