DIY Rock and Rock Wall Building Class

JasonJones

There has been a lot of interest in learning how to make your own rock or rock wall so we have decided to put a class together. I understand it's very last minute. We will be putting together a full write up on the process for those who can't attend.

If you plan on attending and would like to make your own rock, you will need to bring some supplies. I think we have enough of the rock mixture, Theresa correct me if I am wrong, but we do not have enough containers or sand for everyone to make their rock in. I usually use a rubbermaid type tub with 3-4" of sand in the bottom. This allows you to shape your rock. If you want to make a rock wall, my best suggestion is to bring the tank if you want it built in or make a mold of the size you want the wall out of cardboard. Just use a flat piece on the bottom and make a 2-3" lip all the way around.

If you have any questions please post them here. Also, if you are planning on attending just let us know here as well so we can have a count. The walls we will be making for demonstration purposes will be similar to Theresa's shown in the diy rockwall thread in the diy section.

Thanks

im gonna be there for sure. ill get some bags of sand. (i think i saw a vid with someone using regular playsand?) i also have a couple rubbermaid tubs laying around here somewhere ill bring.

Corey, I was going to try to go by Dave (Prof.), but he does not get home until after 5, which I don't have time to go then. He has sugar sand for 1.00 a pound. That would be better.

The Lowes sand is generally silica based. There is some debate whether it will leach silicates into the water feeding algae, but this seems to be settled that it probably won't. I doubt the sand Theresa is getting is silica based. Just an FYI. I would probably use the silica sand but using an aragonite based sand would be better because of its buffering properties.

the all purpose sand has silicates. the play sand doesnt because it is for kids sand boxes and i guess they dont put silicates in the play sand because kids eat it or something. i know i did :P

the playsand is only a dollar difference than the all purpose anyway.

Depends on what you are using it for. If you are using it only for the rock, I would think 10lbs would be plenty. If you are using it for everything, I would get the same size as a bag of sand from Lowes, not sure what that weighs.

I completely forgot I have a 40lb box of sugar sand from marco rocks I am not using. I can just bring it if you want to save yourself the trip. Same price and I know its aragonite sand.

As for how much, I think it depends on if anyone else is coming and what we will be doing. If we are just making a few rocks, it won't take much. If we are going to be doing a lot, I would say 25lbs of sand for rocks and maybe double that for the containers

Hey Jason I have a question. How long does it take for the rocks to set up so that you can put them into your tank? Also do you have to soak the rock in water to harden it up? I saw a video where the person used Portland cement, crushed oyster shells and crushed rock salt. He said that he soaks the rock for about 3 months and changes out the water every other day. Whats your thoughts on this?

With portland it will take a few months to cure. We are trying hydraulic cement, which cures in a couple of weeks, tonight to see how it does. I think that will make the process much better.

You leave the rock out for 4 weeks and just keep it moist, not soaked in water, and then put it in water for a month or more to actually cure the cement when using portland cement.

His explanation sounds right on for portland mixes.