DIY Rock and Rock Wall Building Class

JasonJones

Just wondering how the hydraulic cement worked out. Please let me know when you can

The hydraulic cement is a challenge for us. Go to be doing more experimenting this weekend with it.

I think the mixture with the hydraulic cement is a bit different than using portland cement. The rocks were a bit crumbly. I think this was caused by needing more cement in the mixture and that the hydraulic cement dries faster and has a much shorter working time. We made 3 rocks out of the same mix. The first one turned out usable, but perhaps a little week. Half the second piece crumbled and the third one crumbled completely. The mix was getting pretty dry by the third rock.

I thin Theresa is going to try out some different mixtures this weekend to see if we can find one that works great.

Do you have any pics of the rock you guys made? I'm making my own rock for my first tank in my garage now. I've made 3 batches, probably 50 pounds worth. They turned out pretty good but I'm just waiting for the PH to come down. I had the idea of sprinkling in some red barnicle shells and it was a good call to help add some color. I'd love to see what you guys did and see if I can get any ideas. :-)

Sorry, I did not get a picture before it left my house. I don't have any barnical shells :blink: ... I am going to mix up more this weekend. If anyone is interested in coming over you are welcome to do so just bring sand and a container to make or design rocxk or even a tank. Anybody have any old tanks just laying around and would like to donate for the cause? It is neat making rocks, rock wall. Here is your chance to play if you want. We can plan something for Saturday or Sunday just let me know.