Red Sea Algae Management- NO3:PO4-X

Gregsf66

I'm speachless w/ this product.... I'm not going to Lie... I let my tank go for about 5 months b/c of my promotion at work and now that I'm settled I have got the passion again for having a saltwater aquarium. I went to Austin Aqua Dome and purchased this Red Sea Alge Mgt N03:P04-x product. It was $17.99. The instructions have me putting in 9ml's for my 75g tank. I read online that "Probiotics" is the new thing for Keeping down Nitrates and Phosphates..... Here are the Results below

Wednesday 2/16/11:

Nitrates - 150 (Yes I know) :huh:

Phosphates - 10.0

I did a 50g Water change and this was the results after the water change

Friday 2/18/11:

Nitrates - 110

Phosphates - 7.0

Monday 2/21/11

Nitrates - 70

Phosphates - .1

I will keep you all posted about how the progress is going... But wow what a difference w/ this product.

Interesting results.

Priobiotics have been around for years, they are just now becoming mainstream due to marketing efforts by big companies like red sea

Im sure they have... I just have not been up w/ the times I guess.....

As far as the Phosphates... I was going off of the Color card that I got from the API test...It started at 10, cause I had a dead invert in the water for a few days... Then I did the water change and it went to around 7 based on the color card, and now it is at .10 based on the same color card. I have never really tested for Phosphates or calcium etc... Just Anomonia, Nitrates etc....

Im learning more and more each day about PH levels, Calcium level, etc....

I forgot to add that my ASM G2 skimmer has been pulling out a full canister of blacker than usual crap.....Every Day...w/ the use of this Red Sea Product....

Edited by Gregsf66

Very intriguing Greg! It's good to see the sequence of test results. Having the right microbes really goes a long way in maintaining a stable ecosystem.

I can't say I've ever used the API test kit and 10 ppm does seem high but even if we give it a huge margin of error it's still an interesting drop in PO3 in a short time. Have you tested for phosphates before? The reason I ask is I've tested some frozen foods and gotten very high readings and was wondering if it was possible the phosphates built up over time and wasn't from the invert dying. Healthy livestock can acclimate to conditions that would usually be considered detrimental.

I have never tested for P04 before... So I just took a water sample to Aquatek and wow

Nitrates - 50

Calcium - 450

PO4 - 0

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

KH - Right On.....

Now just a few more days and one more water change and my nitrates will be where I can start adding corals and fish again.