drill a hole for Acrylic

aeroaustin

Good Morning reef addicts :D .

I have decide to drill a hole of Overflow box that to feeding to refuge, there will be two pipes goes to sump, one 1" goes to drain and one 3/4" goes to refuge, both have true ball value to close while I can exchange with fresh batch into sump intead of remove U tube.

How you can drill 1" diameter on the 3/8" acrylic? I have 1" hole drill bit. I am not sure that drill bit can cause split or break the acrylic? Other way to drill?

any input?

Thanks

Edited by aeroaustin

I remembered what I used to drill acrylic. It was a paddle bit (forsner bit). Worked real well. I however was not drilling next to another hole. John from Kingfish also uses paddle bits. If it does crack you should be able to fix it with that weld-on 16.

paddle bit (forsner bit), that is use for woodworking? that bit with flat and two sharp edge that you mention?

there are two different between paddle bit and forstner bit, forstner bit with corase saw, Paddle bit is flat straight.

I think paddle is better than forstner

Edited by aeroaustin

aeroaustin

I have been drilling acrylic for some time now and I have always used the flat spade style bits. The secret to success is to use a drill press if possible. Also if you drill either with a press or with a hand

held drill go slow and pause often, letting everything cool a bit. Finally when you get near the end allow the plastic to warm up with the friction of the bit so you will not tear or split the hole when you

come through the other side. I hope this helps

James

aeroaustin

I have been drilling acrylic for some time now and I have always used the flat spade style bits. The secret to success is to use a drill press if possible. Also if you drill either with a press or with a hand

held drill go slow and pause often, letting everything cool a bit. Finally when you get near the end allow the plastic to warm up with the friction of the bit so you will not tear or split the hole when you

come through the other side. I hope this helps

James

I will experiment with the drill bits, I have three bits and which is better..

I will experiment with the drill bits, I have three bits and which is better..

i will be interested to hear how your experimenting goes. i will be drilling my 60 gal in a month when I have to break it down and move.

Michael

Darn it. All these year I thought a paddle bit was a forstner bit. Thank you for the correction. Boy do I feel silly. Please let us know how it goes.

That's alright.. don't be silly.. :doh: all the aquarists are reef freaks and can't remember what is tools of something that is not belong to reef.

Haven't start yet, I have to watch step-son and he begging me to take him to swim in backyard with inflatble pool. He take all of my engery Also I am looking for house too, I am getting tired of rental property. want big tank and enjoy than being hide and not notify to landlord that I have 75 gallons tank. Otherwise is look for lender that who can work with me. I have several problem with lenders, they doesn't give me any respect for who I am.

I will update about this drill, hope will be do tomorrow.

PM me if you need a good lender. My friend works for TAR(Texas Realtors ***.). We don't own either, but have a big tank and I cut two holes in the wall to the garage. I just view deposits as a nonrefundable hole in the wall, put in a back door, ripped up the carpet, installed new ceiling hung lights, and have 3 big dogs fee. LOL

PM me if you need a good lender. My friend works for TAR(Texas Realtors ***.). We don't own either, but have a big tank and I cut two holes in the wall to the garage. I just view deposits as a nonrefundable hole in the wall, put in a back door, ripped up the carpet, installed new ceiling hung lights, and have 3 big dogs fee. LOL

OUCH! I understand how it feel... That is why... We have three cats.. One cat love to scratch the sheetrock and licking on the paint.. :doh: One other cat is fussy with litter.. must have two litters.. what is picky cat... other cat, he think that he is alpha cat, he love to run around the livingroom... too much stimulation around here... 850 sq feet. too small for 75 gallon and three cats and one kid.. I love to doing something DIY for tank but no storage for tools....

I am from Pennsylvania, rasied in country not city boy..... want to live in large yard.. think of manfacturing house so I can build a house and throw manfacturing out.

I will let you know if lender is not want work with us, then I know where to tap you. Thanks.,.

Aero

When you say that you have three bits which is better what do you mean?

Are they different styles of bits or different sizes?

Using standard drill bits are a no-no on acrylic, unless it is a small hole

They will just grab the acrylic and split it.

The bits I was talking about using are flat like a spade with a point in the middle.

let me know if this helps

Also I can help you with that DIY tank if you are interested.

Edited by Aquatic-J

How did it go?

lol.... I know someone will ask about this. I haven't start yet.. send step-son to his father for father's day so I have my time to focus on the tank for THREE DAYS. :) , Now my tank is recurring with cyano. Da** it... I have been neligent to tank for two weeks. He doesn't understand that I need to have my space and time to spend on tank for few hours... He throw temper tantrum... today I hve to call RCA and any LFS to see if they sell red slimer and Phos remover or pad. will do water exchange tonight, same time drill the hole

Yesterday I went to lowes to buy Irwin spade drill, better bit than other what I have.. Irwin is the best drill bit and saw blade..... Irwin will do the job..

done with drill, look so good.. I will post the picture this afternoon, I need to hook it up and renew the plumbing system, I am glad to caught the problem. when I disassembly and its come with lose, lucky that not flooding the house....