What is it and how do I make it go away??

Stacy

I'm hoping it's just a typical new tank thing and will be easy to get rid of. Water params were all 0. Ca was over 500. Dkh was low- 6 range I think. I'll post exact when I get home. It's nasty looking and covering everything! Tanks been up 2 mos or so now...

Thanks in advance for the help!!

~Stacy

post-1591-0-24626600-1297630252_thumb.jp

Tank's been up since January 3rd. I had been putting tlc in a couple of times a wk until I ran out last week. Not sure how old the bulbs are. Could that affect any of it? Also, I don't feed frequently, but I've only fed liquid or frozen when I do. Know I need to move to pellets or flake...which works best?

Old bulbs can definitely affect algae/cyano growth. If power compact i would replace at least every 6 months, preferably within 4 months. If T5 they can last a year, I switch mine out at 5-6 months tops.

One quick way to get rid of it is with small flexible tubing (like for an air stone) and a 6-12" piece of rigid tubin (to fit the end of the flex tubing). Create a siphon and suck it out.

I would stop dosing CA if you are, and a 6 for Alkalinity is fine, but I would keep dosing this one every few days.

I thought cyano was more red? When I've had it before (years ago in a different tank) it was red. This isn't, but it does act the same. Guess it can be brown too?

Derekreefer- thanks! It's a blasto and one of my fave pieces in there. Would like it more if it weren't currently covered in brown slime :)

Fish that are in it: 6 line wrasse, itty bitty oscellaris, lawnmower blenny, and a red firefish. About to add a one spot foxface tonight per someone's recommendations in a previous thread. I feed Arcti-pods or frozen marine cuisine a few times a week. Every now and then I'll squirt some phyto in for the corals. Everyone eats the other stuff. I hear flakes/pellets are cleaner so what would be the best plan?

I just tested the water again tonight and numbers haven't changed. Nitrates and Phosphates are 0, Kh is 6, sp gr is 1.022.

Advice I got from someone else seems to lead to it being leaching from the "used" LR I have? Maybe lights also and new tank syndrome. Or a combo of all. Justin, if you see this, how old were the bulbs in that light when I bought the set up from you a few months ago?

I also started dosing Marine SAT tonight, so we'll see how that goes...

Thanks again for any advice!!

My advice: skip the foxface, SAT and TLC. Patience is in order IMO as I am not aware of any shortcuts in this hobby. A lot of snakeoil but no shortcuts.

It wouldn't hurt to get new bulbs, try them out and if the problem goes away you'll have a clearer picture of the issue. If not, then you atleast have a backup set.

I use prime reef flake and a high quality pellet as well as frozen mysid and cyclopeeze.

"Only bad things happen fast..."

My advice: skip the foxface, SAT and TLC. Patience is in order IMO as I am not aware of any shortcuts in this hobby.

"Only bad things happen fast..."

+1 bazillion :(

I had cyno and diatoms appear in my 75g a month or so after it was set up. They eventually went away as the tank matured.

Cyano and Diatoms can be dealt with fairly easily - feed less, water change more, more clean up crew if you're understocked, run a skimmer, run a fuge with chaeto, etc... My guess is it's diatoms and it's both part of a new tank cycle and not particularly deterimental to anything in the tank.

Dinoflagelates could be a problem though, I'm not extremely familiar with them, but it looks like there's a chance.... btw this algae guide is fairly comprehensive:

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=81

Im going to say that looks like a form of dinoflagellates. I had my run in with that stuff...cant treat it like normal algae...you need hair algae cyano or bryopsis to out compete it for nutrients and starve it out. I havent really found anything that will eat the stuff and the stuff gets everywhere. I syphoned it out a little bit everyday or so not taking more than a gallon of water out. Try and keep it contained as much as possible dont let it float around the tank as itll attach somewhere else and grow. I still have a lttle bit here and there but I think its fiannly going away. I find hair algae and bryopsis much easier to deal with so dont mind it growing in the tank right now.