MH Bulb Question

Dena

I need to get a new 250W bulb. I really like the blue color. I have used Phoenix in the past and am so so pleased with them. I still want to get some growth. I'd love to hear some opinions on bulbs others have used. It's a single ended bulb that screws in...not sure if it makes a difference with color or not.

Thanks,

Dena

It seems to me if you're happy with your corals then stick with the same manufacturer and kelvin rating. If you want to try to get more growth I think you'll need to do a little research, try to find somebody who has the same corals under different lights and see if you like them. Remember, different kelvin ratings will mean different intensities. I have Phoenix DE 250 14,000K and 20,000K and the 14,000K put out at least 25% more light than the 20,000K. I also have some Ushio 250W DE 14,000K (tested as 12,000K by Advanced Aquarist)) that put out almost twice as much as the Phoenix 20,000K. These are all with the same ballasts and reflectors.

Clint, I have no idea...it's the one I got from Gabe. I'll have to ask my husband or see if Gabe mentioned it in his post.

Yea, I'm happy with how my corals look now, but they are under an LED light - LOL. My 30g currently has a MaxSpect (sp) LED fixture...just don't have enough room in the 30g tank for the SPS AND the RBTA that is getting bigger and bigger. So I needed a larger tank. The LED light will not be enough to support the 84g tank unfortunately. I may see if hubby can rig it up to add to it though. The new setup came with a used 10K Coralife and it's way too white for me.

I'm not looking to get major growth...I'm good with things moving slowly, but still growing, ya know. I just want something more on the blue spectrum so things will have a little more pop. For instance, I took a Palau Nepthea from my 30g where it was fluorescent green. I put it in the 84g (it also has two T5's) and it's yellowish-brown. Yucky-poo LOL. I'm guessing sticking with a 14K bulb would be ideal because it's somewhat in the middle. I just don't know what brands are more on the blue spectrum. If there aren't any that are bluer than the Phoenix, then I'll just stick with that one.

Thanks,

Dena

. . . I just don't know what brands are more on the blue spectrum. If there aren't any that are bluer than the Phoenix, then I'll just stick with that one. . .

I'd suggest looking on Advance Aquarist ( http://www.advancedaquarist.com ) and see if they've reviewed the bulbs you're thinking of. They give the spectral output and true Kelvin ratings. The Ushio I mentioned above is marketed as a 14,000K but tested as a 12,000K and side by side with a Phoenix 14,000K is clearly yellower. If the RBTA and "Palau Nephthia" are the animals you primarily want to show off I'd suggest going with a 20,000K. They both should do fine under the lower and bluer light of a 20,000K and you shouldn't have problems finding colorful stoneys that have been grown under the same lighting.

Dena, you don't have to get it all with the same bulb. I use multiple bulbs over my 75G. At this time I am using a ratio of 75% actinic mixed with 25% 10K. With multiple bulbs you can concentrate the blue in a favorite spot for special effects. If you want to know th growth potential of your special mix of lights, I have a PAR meter to measure the active radiation levels required to grow and would be happy to loan it to you.

Patrick

I can't afford multiple bulbs...it's already got the metal halide mounted in the hood with the two T5's. I would love to just buy a T5 light, but can't afford that right now either. I'm pretty sure a 250W MH is reaching to the bottom of this tank...it's only like 18" deep LOL. Thanks Patrick...now I know where to find a PAR meter if we do need one...appreciate that!!

Dena, you don't have to get it all with the same bulb. I use multiple bulbs over my 75G. At this time I am using a ratio of 75% actinic mixed with 25% 10K. With multiple bulbs you can concentrate the blue in a favorite spot for special effects. If you want to know th growth potential of your special mix of lights, I have a PAR meter to measure the active radiation levels required to grow and would be happy to loan it to you.

Patrick

Thanks Timfish...I need to learn more about this stuff anyway so the articles will be good to read.

Clint, I'll look this bulb up. I've been so busy this week I forgot to ask my husband about the ballast. I asked just now and he has no idea. I'll figure it out myself tomorrow...it's past my bed time.

I just moved my corals into the tank last night...on the sand bed so I don't fry them. I have this one milli that has finally started getting it's color the past few months under my LED. It's a nice pink with blue tips. Even this 10K bulb can't make that thing look ugly biggrin.gif The only thing that doesn't look great are many of the zoas, the palau and most of the other SPS frags I have. Two milli's still look decent and the chalices, scoly's and brains all kept their color....and of course my RBTA...it's so bright the light doesn't bother that either. At least seeing the others in the tank makes it a little easier having to hold off for the new bulb until we get our taxes.

Dena

I think the bulb you are looking for is the Radium. My favorite M.H. bulb of all time (but that was five years ago) It might require an HQI ballast so make sure before you buy.

My ballast is an HQI. I found the Radium bulb on Amazon for 72.99, but it says it's an HRI. Will this work with my ballast? I have a $20 credit with Amazon so this is pretty nice.

Dena

• 3 weeks later...

Clint...great advice on the bulb. I managed to get Jason to let me buy one early...stipulation was that he got to go get a new tool belt, which came with a new tool bag that was full of new tools. LOL.

I love the bulb...it only came in a 20K so not good for growth, but coming from slow LED growth, it seems to still be growing faster with the 20K. The color of the Radium bulb is probably as close as I can get to what I want with a Metal Halide. It's not an LED look, but it will do. I had slow growth with the LED's and although I love the color of LED's, the MH's definitely out rank them on speed. It wasn't something I'm worried about though, but I'm enjoying the little branches sprouting up biggrin.gif