Are you sure you want to buy those expensive MH bulbs?

pbnj

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They make them in DE. I got one when I bought my lumenarc pendant.it was a 20k. I used it over a frag tank for awhile. It had a nice color. I'd say it looked more 14k than 20k.

do you have any pics?

and 150w ? 250w ?

i believe the are not uv protected. Which mean if you dont have a fixture with glass, there a no go.

That's a misconception. The bulbs are described as having an "unprotected arc". I spoke to a tech-person at 1000bulbs.com and he said that statement merely refers to the fact that the bulbs should be used in an enclosed fixture in case they shatter (MH bulbs contain mercury).....something to do with the UL listing.

While he couldn't confirm or deny that the outer-glass had a UV filter, he did confirm that the "unprotected arc" had nothing to do with UV filtering either.

SE metal hailde bulbs are usually encased in borophosphate glass, which provides UV protection.

I have the 20k Plusrite's in my system and they are perfect for me. They have that nice blueish tint I was looking for and not too bright. I bought the 14k's first and they were spectacularly white with a hint of blue, but I wanted even more blue so I got the 20k's to replace them. Anybody interested in 1-week old Plusrite 14k's? I'll eat shipping for you and unload at the price I got them for minus shipping. $30 even for two 14k Plusrite

I have the 20k Plusrite's in my system and they are perfect for me. They have that nice blueish tint I was looking for and not too bright. I bought the 14k's first and they were spectacularly white with a hint of blue, but I wanted even more blue so I got the 20k's to replace them. Anybody interested in 1-week old Plusrite 14k's? I'll eat shipping for you and unload at the price I got them for minus shipping. $30 even for two 14k Plusrite

Those are single ended 250w right? I'm looking for DE.

Those are single ended 250w right? I'm looking for DE.

I found where u can get the Double Ended Bulbs. PM Me and I will let you know or give me a call. 512-909-4644 Lamont

• 4 weeks later...

I bought 250 watt 14k plusrite bulbs to replace my 400 watt 12k reeflux bulbs. I'm trying an experiment...I think that I'm overlighting my tank. I had (5) 400 watt MH for a total of 2000 watts and now wil have 1,250 watts over my tank for the next few months. Anyway the bulbs came in today and I changed out 3 of the 5, in a couple of days I'll change out the other 2 in a week or so. Right away I noticed that the 250 watt bulbs are considerably brighter than the 400 watts I pulled out. Below in the picture you can see the difference. I changed out the far right, far left, and center. Right now the reeflux bulbs are much more blue but this could be b/c the plusrite bulbs need to break in.

post-1255-0-74545400-1302646893_thumb.jp

Let me know what you think about the 12k's once they break in Stephen. They are ridiculously bright but had a good color to them. I opted for the 20k's instead because I didn't want to have to wear shades to look at my tank and because I'm a blue freak. :-)

-Ty

I actually don't mind the color they ended up having at the end of the day. Although the plusrite are 14k and my existing bulbs are 12k they are not as blue as my 12k's. They seem more purple than blue to me. What's cool is that they are whiter than my reeflux but they don't seem to change the color of the corals. I can put 10k lights over my tank and immediately some of my sps will appear brown, this isn't the case with these bulbs. I personally don't like my tank to look blue so these might be good for me. Its hard for me to believe that these bulbs use 150 less watts are are much brighter. My reeflux bulbs are only 4 months old, so its not like I'm replacing old bulbs. The problem is though that I bought 250's to reduce the amount of light in my tank :lol:

For reeflux I was paying $250 for each bulb change every 6 months, for these I paid $66.

Let me know what you think about the 12k's once they break in Stephen. They are ridiculously bright but had a good color to them. I opted for the 20k's instead because I didn't want to have to wear shades to look at my tank and because I'm a blue freak. :-)

-Ty

Do you have before and after pics with the 14k's and 20k's? Can you at least post a pic of the 20k's, I'm curious. Thanks!

What's cool is that they are whiter than my reeflux but they don't seem to change the color of the corals. I can put 10k lights over my tank and immediately some of my sps will appear brown, this isn't the case with these bulbs

I think that describes these bulbs best.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'm really getting a kick out of watching ugly SPS corals come to life under these bulbs. This is an SPS frag I purchased from the dapettit's at last April's ARC frag swap. While it did have hints of purple tips, the frag was kind of brown and only became browner in my old 75g:

VHOs:

post-727-0-29077000-1304103915_thumb.jpg

PlusRites & VHOs

post-727-0-89517700-1304103930_thumb.jpg

By the way, those purple branches are all new growth since January.

I don't know much about lights, so please help me here.:wave: I have a Coralife 150w HQI which takes DE MH bulbs. If I could find Double Ended Plusrite bulbs, could I just use them instead of what I currently have? (Which is what comes with the unit.) What do I need to consider when I use a ballast?

Duncan7

Edited by Duncan7

-Ty

I started out with 400 watt reeflux 14k, switched to 250 watt 14k plusrite which turned out to be more like a 10-12k bulb. The 250 watt 14k plusrite bulbs were really bright, as bright as my 400 watt reeflux but I didn't like the color. They were just a little more yellow than I liked. I bought 20k plusrite 250 watt bulbs and installed them today. Great color, a little more blue than I wanted but all my corals look great. Only drawback is the tank is not as bright as it was. Once winter time rolls around I'm going to buy 400 watt 20k bulbs which I believe will be the right color and brightness for me.

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

I don't know much about lights, so please help me here.:wave: I have a Coralife 150w HQI which takes DE MH bulbs. If I could find Double Ended Plusrite bulbs, could I just use them instead of what I currently have? (Which is what comes with the unit.) What do I need to consider when I use a ballast?

Duncan7

Yes you can replace the light that you have. Its a little more expensive but I got some 150 watt 20k phoenix bulbs for my frag tank and they are awesome. The color is really blue but my corals look great and the polyps are extending farther than ever before.

Duncan7

Yes you can replace the light that you have. Its a little more expensive but I got some 150 watt 20k phoenix bulbs for my frag tank and they are awesome. The color is really blue but my corals look great and the polyps are extending farther than ever before.

Thanks. I'll just have to find a time to get over there and see yours in person. They sound great.

Oh BTW the 20k plusrites don't look as blue as other 20k bulbs I have seen. I would consider them more like a 16-18k if compared to phoenix 20ks.The 14k plusrite bulbs looked more like 10-12k when compared to my reeflux 12k bulbs.

• 4 months later...

I've been using these bulbs for about 2 years now...14k and 20k...I prefer a more blue bulb as seen in better quality bulbs but the price is right so I have continued to use them. SE Mogul. I also find that they should be replaced sooner than higher grade bulbs. I don't have facts such as par readings over time...just what I have experienced from site of my corals. I try to replace the bulbs every 6 months.

I don't know much about lights, so please help me here. :wave: I have a Coralife 150w HQI which takes DE MH bulbs. If I could find Double Ended Plusrite bulbs, could I just use them instead of what I currently have? (Which is what comes with the unit.) What do I need to consider when I use a ballast?

Duncan7

i got me 150w double end MH 20k bulb form fishy buisness for 62 bucks! there a lil more exspensive than regular MH bulbs! but worth the money!