Biopellet feedback

mcallahan

I'm about to switch to biopellets and I'm interested in feedback from those of you who were ALREADY carbon dosing before you switched to pellets.

Did you see any changes once you went to pellets?

Think the pellets are worth it?

Is "regular" (zeovit, polyp lab, Brightwell) just as good?

I think a well regulated liquid carbon system will work better, but i have also seen systems that use both.

I don't have the time or the money to automate a liquid system, or maintain it on a daily basis.

I have noticed that i have had to add about 1.3-1.5x the reccomended dosage of my vertex pellets. Although i feel that the dosages should be based on bioload and not tank volume, so my dosage may be correct.

sponge growth has reached epidemic proportions in my sump, but this may be do to the fact that I have no patricians in my sump and the outflow from the reactor does not all go into the skimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else here using a secondary means of denitration, besides just the pellets?

I have no links for quick reference, but I've seen multiple people on RC mention much improvement by combining MicroBacter7 with BioPellets. A couple web-shops said the same thing in the reviews section for the MB7 product, too - so I went ahead and picked up a bottle. I figure after my next water change, I would begin dosing it to see if I can tell any improvement.

I will say that my new Precision Marine SR40 is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better biopellet reactor than my PhosBan 550 was. Same plumbing, same pump, same volume of pellets - but dramatically better tumbling.

Mark did you ever get the pellets from brightwell? i been meaning to ask you how they worked.. i know i alwyas had good results with the vodka and its kinda the same thing. i know that i have seen a biocube tnhat was dosed with vodka and wow the growth and color was amazing hand down best nano ive ever seem. it was nicks ( Barderer`s) tank. this was lat year sometime.

Matt