cloudy tank Nem in power head

theresa

Come home from work today and tank was all cloudy. I went to work on check water, water was good. could not figure it out. Then I took out the pump cleaned it out and put back and waited.....still no difference. Started moving rocks, not changes, did a 50% water change and found my beautiful stupid nem part of the way in the power head. Pulled the power head out cleaned out. The nem foot base is still connected rock 1/4 of the green tips left. The orange base looks okay but where the bubble tips that got eat by power head is all white, assuming this is what caused the cloudiness. Is the nem going to die? Should I take nem out of tank or give it a chance? Please help soon. Anything I can do to help it?

I really miss the chat room at times like this because there was alway someone in there to help quickly.

thanks theresa

So far I've had 3 anemones go through powerheads. The first was a condylactis, that didn't make it. The second two are GBTAs and are growing nicely and seem well on their way to recovery. The most important thing I learned was to reduce flow in the tank for a while after water changes, carbon, etc. Neither of mine seemed all that enthusiastic about attaching right after getting injured, so they spent a while bouncing around the tank until I significantly reduced the flow for a few days. That seemed to encourage them to find a place they liked and attach.

• 1 month later...

What generally happens is the anemone will end up locking up the pump which means a majority of it is still intact when it inside the pump.

The best thing you can do is turn the light off, lower the water flow to the point of which something like an anemone cannot float around the tank into another powerhead, and then set the anemone still stuck inside the pump onto the bottom of the tank. (EDIT:: with the pump off of coarse)

Most of the time they will work themselves out.

So far I've had 3 anemones go through powerheads. The first was a condylactis, that didn't make it. The second two are GBTAs and are growing nicely and seem well on their way to recovery. The most important thing I learned was to reduce flow in the tank for a while after water changes, carbon, etc. Neither of mine seemed all that enthusiastic about attaching right after getting injured, so they spent a while bouncing around the tank until I significantly reduced the flow for a few days. That seemed to encourage them to find a place they liked and attach.

I think the reason the Green BTA anemones made it but the Condy didn't is because Condy anemones to my knowledge aren't fraggable or able to be raised in captivity.

Edited by Michael Rodriguez