New to Austin: I come with questions...

mburton

Hey guys, I'm moving to Austin this coming up weekend (from Florida).

I am setting up an Oceanic 30 gallon cube that has been drilled, but haven't bought the pumps for it yet. I will be running it with a 250 watt MH (that I already own). I am a little worried about heat with the pumps and lights. My original plan was to run a CL using an OM squirt (which I own), and run an eheim 1262. The sump return is going to be an eheim 1250. Maybe with a big enough sump I won't have to worry about heat, but what are ya'lls thoughts?

And I look forward to joining the club when I get there.

-Mark

Usualy pumps add heat to the system and a close loop would add heat, just depends on the maker of the pump.. Cause all pumps have different heat signatures. If running a halide and some extra pumps for a close loop, maybe a small chiller would help the heat if it needed it. Also maybe bumping the ac in the house MIGHT help keep the tank cool, butt sometimes cannot be wallet friendly. Alot of factors to wage in.. I would set the tank up and have everything running, then find out what your tank temp is and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps any.

I run a 30 gallon oceanic cube with 250w DE halide, two Tunze 7400's, and a mag 9.5 for return. I'd estimate my sump to be about 15 gallons as well and found that I definitely felt more comfortable running a chiller. Pacific Coast 1/10th HP model is worth the 300 bucks and piece of mind IMHO.

John

I agree with thedude. Find a nice small chiller and give yourself the extra piece of mind.

I myself just finished my closed loop with a "Quiet One" pump...not my first choice, but what I had laying around. I find that my temp went up from 78 to almost 81 by late afternoon. I have a chiller that I picked up a while back, but never had the need until now. And until I get that thing hooked up, I use RO ice cubes (about 1 tray a day) to lower the temp back below 80. Right now, I'm running 2 250w MH's , 220W Actinic, 2 Quiet One's (return and CL) and a SEIO 1500 for extra flow in a 110. On a side note, the SEIO also heats up a lot more than a Tunze, so if you're in the market for something like that, go ahead and get the Tunze to keep the temp down.

On the plus side, my night time temp never drops below 77, thanks to that same SEIO :D

Jim

I was trying to avoid the chiller if possible, but it appears that it might not be. I am thinking about putting a good sized rubbermaid container in a chest next to the tank (the only purpose of the chest is to keep it from looking ghetto) and connecting it to the system. I'm thinking I can double my water volume this way and use it for live rock or something along those lines (maybe even a skimmer if I get it big enough).

I don't know why the image is so small...its saved at just over 500 pixels wide on my comp. Anyway, this might get the basic idea across:

tankdiagram.jpg

Yellow line is return, Red is drain.

I'm thinking I will run the tank drain to the rubbermaid sump, then have the return line go from the rubbermaind -> eheim -> tank. I'm assuming the eheim wouldn't have a problem sucking water from the rubbermaid tank even if I housed it a few feet away.

Do you think I would have heat issues if I use the rubbermaid idea with say 30 gallons of water in it (assuming I am using the 250 Watt MH and eheim 1262 and 1250) ? Thanks for the help guys.[/img]

There is no real way of knowing if you'll have heat issues or not. I would definitely put a fan blowing into the rubbermaid cooler then just monitor the tank temperature during the cycling process and see what kind of swing you get. We'll be able to give you an apporpriate solution after we see what your temperature looks like.

John

• 2 weeks later...

well i have made the move to Austin, and checked out a few stores in town. I will be setting my tank up soon (just waiting to sell one of my guitars to buy some needed equipment). Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be up and running.

Welcome to Austin, The Live Music Capitol Of The World.

Just putting my 2 cents in as well. Set up a pump or two in the tank near the top of the water surface to aid in evaporative cooling. that may help as well.

James