Seriously?

Elizzy

post-1620-0-54925900-1289525109_thumb.jp

My BF texted that picture to my phone with "Houston, we got a problem." I just started laughing, maniacally. I bought the little urchin to take care of the hair algae that resurrected itself from a live rock (had I known better, I would've scrubbed that crap off before putting it in the tank)...

I was half tempted to leave coral on urchin - it seemed happy...

Mine has been wearing a pair of green zoas for almost a month now. He's also picked up and worn a patch of turf algae (the same stuff I've watched him eat), some misc shells, and one of the planted macroalgaes. Not exactly sure how this stuff is supposed to be camouflage when he's climbing on the glass, but whatever.

Mine loves to carry xenia, then drop it into the nearest powerhead when he's done with it (why i have no more xenia in my tank). He's also hauled around snails, hermits, various corals (killed 2 chalices, more than a couple of zoas, every birdsnest I've put in the tank recently), an algae clip with algae in it (that was fun for the rabbitfish, eating on the go).

My two original urchins introduced at the tank's start have been wearing some stuff for 2-3 months now. One has a sort-of tile of coraline algae he wears as a hat, the other carries a 1" hard tube-worm shell like it were a cane :D but they both refuse to drop them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HAHA just read the rest of this thread...awesome!

Picked a couple of turbos and have decided to rehome this urchin. He does a great job of stripping everything from rocks - including coralline. Will throw in the coral frag hat for free.

PM me if interested. Thanks!!

Sounds like they would be fun to have for about two days, and then get old. Glad I read this before ever getting one. I have a long spine urchin. Do these guys do anything near as crazy? Mine seems to just do his own thing like clean the filter to the protien skimmer. Lol :)