any body heard of the fish street wavebox

don duncan

So, my two cents would be that there is nothing special about this box design vs tunze's, the magic isn't in the box construction. From a lot of DIYs I've read I don't think the strength of the pump will be nearly as important as 1) if the pump is designed to deal with the constant on/off used to generate the waves, and 2) the quality of the controller unit that turns the pump on or off.

For $100 I think it would be a worthwhile experiment. A pump doesn't have to be super strong to be able to pull in enough water to fill the box, but it has to be durable enough to withstand the wear and tear, plus be designed to auto-correct if the impeller starts up spinning the wrong direction.

Yea Robb,

I'm good for startin' stuff. I could have done a lot more with the money I would have saved from buying a Tunze Wavebox and a Tunze Stream for the opposite end of my tank. I also didn't need a $1200 Protein Skimmer! So much can be done for the huge prices some of these manufactures charge for their half-wit products. It's a plastic case and a pump with a timer. LED lighting costs is my next bone of contention. Build it yourself.

Sorry for my rant and hijack of this topic.!!

You'll note that the other box comes with a magnet as well. You could just as easily buy the Tunze magnet at $55 and still save over $400! I've never compared the Tunze with any other wavemaker so, I can't speak to that. But, you could buy 4 of the other wavemakers for the $550 that it will cost you for the Tunze. Does anyone have any comparisons to the Tunze that they could personally share?

I'll sell you mine with the magnets at half price if you like? That's how I feel about it.

You'll note that the other box comes with a magnet as well. You could just as easily buy the Tunze magnet at $55 and still save over $400! I've never compared the Tunze with any other wavemaker so, I can't speak to that. But, you could buy 4 of the other wavemakers for the $550 that it will cost you for the Tunze. Does anyone have any comparisons to the Tunze that they could personally share?

I'll sell you mine with the magnets at half price if you like? That's how I feel about it.

1) It's $180 with shipping.

2) It's made in China, takes 2-3 weeks to deliver, and it has a 30-day warranty.

Can you imagine the time/money/effort that you'd waste if the pump stops working in a week? By contrast, I bought a used Tunze wavebox with a defective pump. Walked into Tunze and he replaced it with a new one because the original was still under warranty....no questions asked.