Universal Power Supplies

Derek

While sitting at home watching my tank today, the power flickered a few times. The flickering scares the crap out of my fish (I have to get one of my wrasses out of the overflow). When the power was flickering I was thinking about universal power supplies and how long one could keep the pump going on the tank.

Do any of you use a universal power supply on your tank? If so, what kind and how long does it keep the pump running when the power is off?

We have an older APC 500 UPS (I have an APC 750 for the computers). I run the Aquaclear 70 HOB filter, the heater, and the koralia 1 Powerhead. The other powerhead and lights are not on the powersupply. The lights here went out about a month ago and the power was out for about 3 hours. Everything was still running.

You can figure out how much you need here: http://bugclub.org/beginners/miscellaneous/upscalc.html

Koralias are nice because they don't use a lot of power and since you can't put any equipment on them (like sponge filters), there's no extra power draw on them.

I hope that helps.

I use an APC Smart UPS 3000 on my Discus tank. I can keep 2 large Eheims running for 6 - 8 hours, and small powerheads virtually indefinitely. We use these for company servers as well. The refurbs are a few hundred $, compared to $1500 - $3000 for new ones. A little ugly but they work really well.

I picked mine up from a refurb IT company up in Leander.