Plants & Gardening

chatfouz

I have a small patio, and I would love to put a plant out there in a pot. I never garden, so I thought to ask if yall have any suggestions. Any ideas of a plant with some pretty flowers, or nice smell I can put in a pot on the porch? Preferably something that I wouldn't kill by looking at it wrong?

Thanks yall for any ideas.

I've had really good luck this year growing peppers in pots.. bells, jalapenos, and sweet banana peppers, as well as raspberries and blackberries. Not the prettiest, but definitely tasty. Aloe and agaves tend to grow pretty well potted as well, and are pretty forgiving if you forget to water them.

As far as flowers, my wife is partial to hibiscus, but they can be a pain having to haul them inside when a freeze is expected since they can get pretty big.

I like the idea of that. that sounds rather different! Yea i can't bring stuff inside, my roommate the germ-a-phobe wouldn't accept such outdoor things inside for a freeze. dirt is to stay outside...

I've had really good luck this year growing peppers in pots.. bells, jalapenos, and sweet banana peppers, as well as raspberries and blackberries. Not the prettiest, but definitely tasty. Aloe and agaves tend to grow pretty well potted as well, and are pretty forgiving if you forget to water them.

As far as flowers, my wife is partial to hibiscus, but they can be a pain having to haul them inside when a freeze is expected since they can get pretty big.

If you get a lot of sun on your porch I would recommend Lantana. It gets nice flowers all summer and fall. You chop it down to 6" in the winter and it comes back again in the spring. Also it's a texas native plant. :hmm: